voluntary work

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by bonniebeth, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all i am looking for some help i volunteer on a website as a moderator on a site and some one has told me that i must tell work about this and that if i don t i can be disciplined. i do not get any pay or any thing for doing this and was just wondering if someone knows if this is ture

thanks larry

2. bonnie, its an unusual place to come for advice, however if your contract with your employer requests you advise them of any external interests you could be in breach of your employment contract if you fail to declare it.

I know you take no remuneration for the work, but contract is contract. Of course as long as the external work doesnt affect your employment they would probably never know. Just not worth the risk IMHO in the current climate where employers are looking for candidates for redundancy. Just chat it over with HR at work, and if necessary write a note letting them know.

Ah you come from the lovely Celle, was serving there 25 years ago, great town!

3. thanks for the reply bob and will have to speak with the boss on monday thanks

4. Just make sure you use punctuation when you write or e-mail your boss.