Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by heard_it_all_before, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Here's one for the Pay Guru's:

    Have been MD'd after 23 years of service and I am now in receipt of a SWP and have a SAP. I'm not working at present, and probably won't be for quite a while. So as I still have some 25 years or normal working life ahead of me, what is the requirement for me to make National Insurance Contributions so as to still be fully paid up by the time that I reach retirement age..? - Not that I'm counting my chickens of course..! :D

    Have had a butchers on the HMR&C web site and it says about Class 3 Contributions but that Class 2 is better. All a bit confusing really, has anyone else encouterted this problem, and if so has anyone got any advice.?

    Thanks in advance
  2. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/national_insurance_contributions_and_benefits.htm#when_do_you_have_to_pay_national_insurance_contributions

    "What happens when you are not paying contributions"

    "For most people, there will be periods of their working life when they are not paying contributions because they are not working. Without help this would mean you would have gaps in your national insurance record and this could prevent you getting benefits. In particular, it could affect your State Retirement Pension. The national insurance scheme recognises many of these situations and allows you to qualify for credits or home responsibility protection if you are looking after a child or disabled person."
  3. msr

    msr LE

    Go and speak to an Independent Financial Advisor. The first hour is free.