Volley gun

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remember Richard Sharpe's oppo having one of these in the Bernard Cornwell novels but has anyone ever seen one?
    There's a little more information from the National Maritime Museum here:
    Seems surprising it was rifled when rifled arms didn't come into general use until years later. Makes a double rifle look straightforward!
  2. Since Sharp came out, these (and Baker rifles) are like rocking horse poo..

I know Dysons make repro Bakers, but Nocks are difficult to make and bl**dy useless, so thery were never popular...

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Given the inaccuracy of most weapons of the time, and the fact that the nasty people tended to arrive en masse, there's a lot to be said for this "weapon of last resort".
  4. have you seen how much a replica Baker rifle is on that site?£2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There are a few press releases showing Dar o Paddy in a museum with an original. They wont be many around, believe if you google Volley gun abot 200 were made and most went to the Navy or some soft figure like that!
    click, click, click, click, etc!
  6. Most interesting but Sharpe Appreciation Society (SAS)? Tell me that wasn't deliberate :roll:
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Smacks a little doesnt it!
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The guy next Paddy O Doofer looks a little "slow".
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Agreed, perhaps SAS stands for Special And Slow!
  10. Any use against "Wild Donkeys"?
    :thumleft: :thumleft: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm curious as to how lightening a rifle would reduce the recoil. Lightening the charge or load perhaps but lighten the rifle and there is less to absorb the recoil.
    Strange what you read on t'internet!