Volkswagen - racist ad

Volkswagen has a long history of racial stereotyping, such as this one with the late great Burt Kwouk:
I do not speak Japanese. I do, however, have the ability to sound as if I do - thanks (in no small part) to Burt and Tenko. The reception girls at my old place were convinced I could speak Japanese after a particularly entertaining session of dit-spinning and gibberish (in the style of Burt Kwouk) and the tale of how I'd once appeared in a Japanese beer commercial (which I actually had). What I wasn't expecting was for word to get out and for me to be picked to welcome a visiting trade delegation. Que feverish phonetic learning of basic phrases on the internet. I got away with it. Just.

bedended

War Hero
Volkswagen has a long history of racial stereotyping in their ads, even if some were quite good and seen as acceptable at the time, such as this one with the late great Burt Kwouk:

Morning @ScouseD,
Not racist stereotyping. Cultural (miss)appropriation. Born in Warrington to Chinese parents, brought up in Shanghai.

Despite Coronavirus, the Emperor is clearly holidaying in Wolfsburg right now.

How a scandal-hit, major multi-national approves something like that in this day and age without someone raising a flag is completely boggling.
Germany: "Our advertising creatives are the best in the world"

China: "Hold my Tsingtao"

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Ford have got form too...

That is what I was pondering.

If that was the case, I would not find it racist, nor do I find this racist. I just think too many people are too quick to jump on the band wagon and look at skin colour, as apposed to, saying it's just a shit advert.

Why not sexist or homophobic? Maybe he is a gay man, and that is a female heterosexual feminist hand?

It's all a load of shite!
I'm wondering how many 'people of colour' (to use the latest acceptable pc phrase) actually complained about it compared to the usual SJW suspects.

I'm wondering how many 'people of colour' (to use the latest acceptable pc phrase) actually complained about it compared to the usual SJW suspects.
I’m expecting to travel to UK soonish, with my other half. Her nickname, used by everyone from her great aunt to her younger brother’s girlfriend, is Negrita. Sometimes Negra. I kind of hope it causes a scene.

re the Ford Ka adverts, I do like them, a lot.

endure

GCM

Why bother complaining when you've got a whole army of virtue signallers waiting to complain on your behalf?

NSP

LE
It's not as good as the one Clarkson did, driving a VW around the deserted streets of Warsaw. I can't seem to find it on YouTube for some reason.
"Berlin to Warsaw in one tank."

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
"Berlin to Warsaw in one tank."
After a quick look at post 16, you might be in for a bit of 'Trigger'-themed abuse.

NSP

LE
After a quick look at post 16, you might be in for a bit of 'Trigger'-themed abuse.
Who cares? It's week whatever of lockdown. Fuggem. Fuggem all!!

People of colour are too lazy be offended.

( it was a joke M'lud )
A telly ad last night I had not seen before. A young black woman applying deodorant to her armpits. I wonder how long before the complaint that it features a 'smelly' black woman?

Latest Threads