Volkswagen - racist ad

Would the VW advert still be "racist" if the colours were reversed and it was a black hand?
That is what I was pondering.

If that was the case, I would not find it racist, nor do I find this racist. I just think too many people are too quick to jump on the band wagon and look at skin colour, as apposed to, saying it's just a shit advert.

Why not sexist or homophobic? Maybe he is a gay man, and that is a female heterosexual feminist hand?

It's all a load of shite!

Chef

LE
I thought BMWs were the car of choice for some demographics?

OneTenner

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You ain't seen nuthin' yet. SA security company adverts, as well as those for alarm systems, security gates and so on all show your suburban family of govt approved social and cultural characteristics threatened by those nasty minority criminals who stalk the cities and make the streets unsafe.

Absolutely and completely unlike the reality.
Wasn't there an advert some time ago for a Beemer retro-fitted with side-facing Flammenwerfer and a big red 'go' button on the dash as an antidote to carjacking?
It almost convinced me to buy a BMW....

Wasn't there an advert some time ago for a Beemer retro-fitted with side-facing Flammenwerfer and a big red 'go' button on the dash as an antidote to carjacking?
It almost convinced me to buy a BMW....
Yep, E30 3 Series IIRC. South Africa.

Mercedes-Benz nearly had a canary over this one, in case anyone thought it was real. "ADOLF!"

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Regardless of racist or not, can anyone come up with a serious explanation of what message they were trying to get across.

Volkswagen has a long history of racial stereotyping in their ads, even if some were quite good and seen as acceptable at the time, such as this one with the late great Burt Kwouk:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Regardless of racist or not, can anyone come up with a serious explanation of what message they were trying to get across.
The answer to vehicle theft by minorities is to breed a race of giants?

Despite Coronavirus, the Emperor is clearly holidaying in Wolfsburg right now.

How a scandal-hit, major multi-national approves something like that in this day and age without someone raising a flag is completely boggling.
It appears that the entire workforce are a bunch of professionally offended bellends.
I’m ashamed of this disgusting video,” said Bernd Osterloh, the head of the workers’ council at the carmaker. “And I speak for the entire workforce when I say that

The advertising industry is currently digging itself a huge hole trying to make adverts inclusive, politically correct and entertaining.

That is what I was pondering.

If that was the case, I would not find it racist, nor do I find this racist. I just think too many people are too quick to jump on the band wagon and look at skin colour, as apposed to, saying it's just a shit advert.

Why not sexist or homophobic? Maybe he is a gay man, and that is a female heterosexual feminist hand?

It's all a load of shite!
Oh Christ, don’t get that lot started or we’ll never hear the end of it and be up to our ears in tears.

Actually, now I think about it, there is no end to their incessant whining.

Latest Threads