Volkswagen Arteon anybody got one?

Which colour did you get? I got the Urano Grey, it was on offer at the dealership in Norwich, all in I ended up paying just shy of 29k including delivery to Manchester and taking my Skoda back to Norwich.

Manganese Grey.

CEC04C14-7773-4385-B8CE-554E9CC36E8E.jpeg
8CF50C71-D6A8-4E39-8F12-DA95EEF820EC.jpeg

Further to my last, car arrived this morning.

Attachments

• 20210916_105943.jpg
    20210916_105943.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210916_110026.jpg
    20210916_110026.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210916_110045.jpg
    20210916_110045.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
I'm not up to date on the various vehicle taxes in the UK, it's been decades since I last did it. So the car tax that's mentioned, is that road tax or emissions tax or some other kind of tax?
You've been gone a while obviously, that nice Mr Churchill did away with road tax in 1937 and replaced it with VED.

You've been gone a while obviously, that nice Mr Churchill did away with road tax in 1937 and replaced it with VED.

I always knew the round disk that went on the left hand side of the windshield as road tax.

I always knew the round disk that went on the left hand side of the windshield as road tax.
Loads of people do, but nowhere on the tax disc did it mention Road Tax. It was Vehicle excise Duty since 1937, when the Road Tax that was ring fenced for use on roads was binned, and VED became part of the general tax kitty.
It wouldn't be important at all,, except because people keep calling it road tax over 80 years later, they think that in some way they alone have ownership of the roads and other road users don't have a stake and are somehow stealing from them.

My 10 year old VW Golf pays zero road tax. The diesel guzzling beauty.
Same with me... My 10 year old nasty diesel Honda Civic costs zero pounds road tax each year.... I remember the advert that encouraged me to move to diesel....

Loads of people do, but nowhere on the tax disc did it mention Road Tax. It was Vehicle excise Duty since 1937, when the Road Tax that was ring fenced for use on roads was binned, and VED became part of the general tax kitty.
It wouldn't be important at all,, except because people keep calling it road tax over 80 years later, they think that in some way they alone have ownership of the roads and other road users don't have a stake and are somehow stealing from them.

I always heard it called road tax mate, other than that I just paid it and cracked on. We have much the same annual thing over here as well only it's called vehicle registration. Here the cost goes down as the vehicle gets older though.

Yes. And no.

Like it or not, VED is a tax to drive your car on public roads - therefore while it is not a tax to pay for roads, it is a road tax.

Yes. And no.

Like it or not, VED is a tax to drive your car on public roads - therefore while it is not a tax to pay for roads, it is a road tax.
You need it to park on public roads too, and even to park on your own driveway if you don't declare SORN. And while it may be a "road tax" it's not called Road Tax anywhere in the legislation and hasn't for years. Do you also call VAT shopping tax?

You need it to park on public roads too, and even to park on your own driveway if you don't declare SORN. And while it may be a "road tax" it's not called Road Tax anywhere in the legislation and hasn't for years. Do you also call VAT shopping tax?
VAT is a goods and services tax, and applies to more than just shopping, as I'm sure you know.

Yes, you need it to park on public roads - maybe I should have been more clear - that is why it is a "road tax".

It's no different to people saying 'Hoover' when they mean vacuum cleaner. Or they are going to 'Google' something when they are using a different internet search engine.

colinmc400

Old-Salt
I actually quite fancy the look of these and it fits my requirement for needing a hatchback, then you see the VW Aus website and it just turns me off even wanting to talk to them.

Why can't i have those nice 20" alloys that everyone else gets?? If i am going to be asked for 65 large, of those Aussie $$'s and wait 9 months for it to arrive and you won't even let me have the wheels i want, that everyone else gets. i wonder how far i would get, if i push it. Supply it with those wheels or i am off.

except because people keep calling it road tax over 80 years later, they think that in some way they alone have ownership of the roads and other road users don't have a stake and are somehow stealing from them.

I calls it road tax.... it a great way to out cyclist's who'll rant on about VED like proper a fuckwit

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Further to my OP I have spoken to the salesman at VW and he assures me that because the list price is less than 40k I will pay £155 for the second and subsequent years road fund licence.
Here is the U.K. tax tables, it’s very straight forward :slow: This should explain everything.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I actually quite fancy the look of these and it fits my requirement for needing a hatchback, then you see the VW Aus website and it just turns me off even wanting to talk to them.

Why can't i have those nice 20" alloys that everyone else gets?? If i am going to be asked for 65 large, of those Aussie $$'s and wait 9 months for it to arrive and you won't even let me have the wheels i want, that everyone else gets. i wonder how far i would get, if i push it. Supply it with those wheels or i am off.
Do you get the square ones then:-?

Latest Threads