VMB - A

incrediably hard to make the switch.
you will be stepping up from mere superhero to God-like status......

craigspeedy said:
why would you want to???

No one comes up to me at the weekend and says can you fix my tank?ok apart from the postings are alot better with the tank regiments, well depending on which one you get....
More than enough reason to change, why would you want to fix cars at weekend???

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmmm, think carefully before doing this - what future is there, in the longer term, for VM A's in the Army? Well, the British Army, anyway.

Don't think it really matters now a days. They'll still post you where they want and tell you it's to the needs of the Corps.

On my third squat mech unit and about to go to my forth on my request, just to go to the area I want.

Old Snowy is correct; vehicle specific training on basic courses (VMA and VMB), is due to cease in the near future, with courses becoming shorter. Instead tradesmen will be sent back to be trained on the modules relevant to their posting/upcoming tour.

If we don't intend to have a third of our VMs working on Challenger2 why put them through the weeks of training involved? I know detractors will say that there will be a capability loss, however training for CR2 will not cease, it will just only be available for those who require it.

This has to be a step in the right direction, if you consider the large amounts of new equipments now being supported and the limited capacity for training at SEME. Prior to deployment to Helmand would you prefer a bunch of sprogs who could coolant pressure test a CR2 or a fitter section with several individuals trained on Mastiff/Panther/Jackal, who could bring the rest of the section up to speed as the tour progressed?

craigspeedy said:
craigspeedy said:
craigspeedy:
why would you want to???
No one comes up to me at the weekend and says can you fix my tank?OK apart from the postings are a lot better with the tank regiments, well depending on which one you get....
buryfc66
More than enough reason to change, why would you want to fix cars at weekend???
Well i was the only guy in my regt who went on tour and lost money.with all my wheeling and dealing to fixing cars. Currently i own my own garage, with the satisfactory of being my own boss while making enough for the tax man to keep dibs on me.
So all them hard weekends i worked put me in good stead for this position

Old Snowy is correct; vehicle specific training on basic courses (VMA and VMB), is due to cease in the near future, with courses becoming shorter. Instead tradesmen will be sent back to be trained on the modules relevant to their posting/upcoming tour.

If we don't intend to have a third of our VMs working on Challenger2 why put them through the weeks of training involved? I know detractors will say that there will be a capability loss, however training for CR2 will not cease, it will just only be available for those who require it.

This has to be a step in the right direction, if you consider the large amounts of new equipments now being supported and the limited capacity for training at SEME. Prior to deployment to Helmand would you prefer a bunch of sprogs who could coolant pressure test a CR2 or a fitter section with several individuals trained on Mastiff/Panther/Jackal, who could bring the rest of the section up to speed as the tour progressed?
As quoted by spaz if these changes are to take place then it would indeed benifit the military but i can see it been an issue to individuals.
ie. soldiers who do want to work on B vehicles , been posted told to work on A vehicles. affecting morale.

Or spending money on one course and the next posting the individual is trained on another, suddenly he gets promoted and posted and the cycle begins were the unit did not see the full benefit of the costly course.
Cost effective??? beneficial???

Then if you do want to create varied fitter sect. how can one individual train or supervise a lower ranked if in fact he is not trained on that equipment???

Just a few opinions up there. im sure as time rolls on and changes happen, as REME tradesman have the ability to adapt really well to changes and been screwed...
Good point well made considering the changes planned to the VM world.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HiHoClunge REME 6
T REME 16
W REME 9