Discussion in 'REME' started by skippy146, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it difficult or even allowed to change from VMB to VMA?
  2. incrediably hard to make the switch.
    you will be stepping up from mere superhero to God-like status......
  3. Apparently you have to stop squatting when you take a p1ss!!!
  4. More than enough reason to change, why would you want to fix cars at weekend???
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmmm, think carefully before doing this - what future is there, in the longer term, for VM A's in the Army? Well, the British Army, anyway.
  6. Don't think it really matters now a days. They'll still post you where they want and tell you it's to the needs of the Corps.

On my third squat mech unit and about to go to my forth on my request, just to go to the area I want.
  7. Old Snowy is correct; vehicle specific training on basic courses (VMA and VMB), is due to cease in the near future, with courses becoming shorter. Instead tradesmen will be sent back to be trained on the modules relevant to their posting/upcoming tour.

If we don't intend to have a third of our VMs working on Challenger2 why put them through the weeks of training involved? I know detractors will say that there will be a capability loss, however training for CR2 will not cease, it will just only be available for those who require it.

This has to be a step in the right direction, if you consider the large amounts of new equipments now being supported and the limited capacity for training at SEME. Prior to deployment to Helmand would you prefer a bunch of sprogs who could coolant pressure test a CR2 or a fitter section with several individuals trained on Mastiff/Panther/Jackal, who could bring the rest of the section up to speed as the tour progressed?
  8. Good point well made considering the changes planned to the VM world.