VM Training.

Discussion in 'REME' started by LeatherHead, Sep 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

I've read up the information given on the official Army website, and done some searching through the REME threads to gather what information I could about VM training.

As I understand it, a VM's training consists of a 5 weeks foundation course, in which suitability for becoming a VM is assessed. This is followed by about 20 working weeks training, then 9 weeks driver training.

I'm having a job believing that it only takes a little over 30 weeks to train a person up in all aspects of being a mechanic, and to be able to confidently work on the broad range of equipment the army uses. This is considering it takes years to qualify as a car mechanic in civvy street.

My question is, after the above training, is there any further training which isn't mentioned? Any information of such training would be great. Thanks for reading.
  2. There's actually no law/rule that states you need any formal qualifications to call yourself a car mechanic in civvy street, besides which 30 weeks seems a fair amount of time to know that basics.
  3. Firstly, you're not joining the REME to become a "civvy car mechanic". On the premise of a 34 week course, working a 4.5 day week, with approximately 6.5 hours a day in class, you will be expecting to receive nearly 1000 hours training.

Secondly, when you leave training to your first unit, you will be a class 3 VM. There is a 6 month period where you will be continually assessed for your class 2. You'll learn on the job and will have various job signed off on completion of them. This is where you'll gain the vast majority of your hands on skills.

Finally, after 4 years of pack lifts, sweeping the shop floor and stagging on, you'll be back at sunny Bordon to do you Class 1, another 7 - 11 months dependant on your trade of learning yet more stuff.
  4. I didn't mean to come across dissrespectful to the trade, "civvy car mechanic" was just an example. Perhaps a bad one.

Thankyou for this peice of information though. This is what i was interested to learn, training after initial trade training.

Adding to this, during the assessment period, is the training for class 2 done in a classroom/workshop environment? Or is it also done while in the field?

5. Every day of your Army career is training, in form or another, from trade experience to drinking beer and shagging fat birds.
  6. On completion of your training at Bordon you will be given a Trade Proficiency Development Booklet (TPDB) other wise known as your 3-2 Book. You will take this to your unit and have the various tasks inside signed off as and when you complete them. When it is complete and your line manager deems you competent, you will be awarded your class 2 and receive a (small) payrise.

The tasks will be carried out wherever your unit is, be that in barracks, on exercise or on operations. Units may well hold a class 2 trade assessment but this varies from unit to unit.

As a class 3 you should be supervised at all times, although this is not always possible. Class 2s must have their work out inspected by a class 1. You will not be fully qualified until you have completed the class 1 course, at which point you will have normally served around 6 years.
  7. My son is presently at Bordon doing his foundation course, He's not doing very well and has failed his "materials". What I want to know are if he fails to complete the foundation course what are his options?
  8. What exactly does the foundation course involve? Ait of bench fitting? What are you expected to make?
  9. We made throwing stars - although the drawing did say centre square
  10. If you are at Bordon you will make a basic tool box and/or a oil filter strap.
  11. We always knew them as swap jockeys not mechanics,hence the short training.
  12. Maths, science and engineering materials exams. Workshop health and safety with a piss poor easy exam and then 2 weeks of bench fitting where you have a written exam and a practical piece which for us at least was a strap spanner used for taking off oil filters apparntly say the vm's.

Armourer's have to get 65% on the workshop based stuff and vm's 60% and the other trades 60% as far as I know.

The other exams are 60% pass rates with 1 or if your lucky 2 resits. We had 2 "Harrogate heroes" fail science twice and are now waving goodbye to sunny bordon.
  13. As said in my other reply failing foundation is pretty much the fastest way to get out the reme. We've had 2 lads from my course get kicked out just this friday gone for failing science twice.

It's all pretty basic stuff GCSE+ level physics and maths. Materials is literally just memory of 2 days worth of lessons, most of my course got 90%+ with little or no revision.

Option wise I beleive if you have looked up where you want to go you may be able to transfer but they are pretty quick to put you where they need people which at the moment is the pretty shitty jobs no one wants. Our two lads are going infantry I beleive.
  14. Where will the 9 weeks driver training take place?
  15. The B license is normally done in Bordon. Then C and C+E can be done in either Bordon or at the Defense School of Transport at Leconfield. The driving can be carried out before or after the course depending on time. It has been know for vm's to be farmed out to there units before completing driver training giving the unit the problem of getting you qualified.