• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

VM NVQ Level 2 ...hardly worth the paper its written on?!

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me

I left the REME in March last year as a class 2 VM (B). I am now living in New Zealand working for a main dealer repairing construction equipment.

The problem I have is that I need to get fully qualified. The certificate I have from the army is an EAL (EMTA Awards Ltd.) NVQ Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations Q1053547. I mean what does 'performing engineering operations' means, it bares no relation to the 6 weeks of Engine technology or Transmissions I did etc at the start of 2006. I have 3 Certificate's of Unit Credit's which either have very basic stuff like 'Fitting using hand skills' or vaige ones saying Engineering maintanance techniques. I also have a Vocationally-Related Qualification/Certificate but it just says Certificate in Engineering and Technology. None of it even mentions an engine or anything to do with automotive.

I do have the REME Certificate of Trade Proficiency with everything written on the back that I did, Engine technology etc. but that is just a bit of paper, rather than something from an official awarding body.

I'm wondering if anyone has left as a Class 2 and is working as a mechanic? either staying as NVQ 2 qualified or geting NVQ 3 qualified. I have shown my certificates to one authority in New Zealand but they just said unfortunatly hardly any of it can be transferred over. I am looking at paying the NZ Qualifications authority about £400 for an official assesment, I just really hope the 6 months of mechanic study I did in Bordon can be recognised so I don't have to completely re-do my Apprenteship.

I have contacted EAL (EMTA Awards Ltd.) to confirm that I have the correct certificates and they said I have. I have also spoke to Training Admin in Bordon ext. 5531, and Diane Richards in Course admin on ext. 5546 but I am not really geting anywhere. Diane did tell me though that a Class 1 mechanic went over to NZ but they did not recognise his qualifications from the army

I feel pretty let down by the REME, if I was a workshop foreman and a prostpective employee came to me and he showed me a certificate saying performing engineering operations I would be like what the hell is this.

If anyone can help me on this it would be really appreciated, or if anyone has a contact for someone in Bordon a bit higher up that could help me? I just want some official recognition for the 6 months training and work experience I did so I can carry on my apprenteship rather than starting all over again.

Thanks a lot
Stu Wilson

Latest Threads