Vladimir Putin proposes alliance to defend our continent

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Yes all as Soldiers of Christ

2. Only if China can join too

3. Its the only language that Islam understands

4. No I am still fighting the cold war

5. Errr but this would upset Dick Cheney

6. Only if the Russians start killing our Journalists as well

7. Then can we liberate our Oil

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two thousand years ago Roman soldiers united enormous territories from Britain to Athens, from the Rhine to the Iberian peninsula, by the sword. Europe has survived many destructive wars and the collapse of empires. It overcame the dictatorship of tyrants and the horrors of Nazism, but at the same time lived through the Renaissance and sowed the seeds of democracy. It was Europe that formulated the noble ideas of humanism and the Enlightenment, which formed the foundation of European civilisation.

The history of relations between Russia and Europe is one of mutual influence and benefit. St Petersburg, my native city, became a magnificent northern capital thanks to architects and artists from western Europe. Symbolically, the people of the city withstood a 900-day blockade by fascist troops in the second world war, heroically resisting a barbaric ideology that was and is the very antithesis of everything “European”.

Russia has shared all the triumphs and tragedies of Europe. We have twice played a decisive role in disrupting attempts to unite Europe by force, the last time in the second world war.

The development of multifaceted ties with the EU is Russia’s principled choice. In the foreseeable future, for obvious reasons, we have no intention of either joining the EU or establishing any form of institutional association with it. Russia intends to build its relations with the EU on a pragmatic basis with a treaty and a strategic partnership. In this regard I agree with Romano Prodi’s view of Russian-EU relations: “Anything but institutions.”

Half a century ago six European nations, principally the French and the Germans, decided to put aside former enmities and, as Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, has noted, “grow together”. The people of the new democratic Russia want their country to be a prosperous power, living a dignified life in friendship and harmony with their neighbours.

Vladimir Putin

In full

2. Can our different cultures live in harmony? History seems to suggest not.
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Reads well...
  4. Defend it from whom, exactly?
  5. Probably just wants a love in from the EU cash pot....
  6. The article hasn't contain any proposition of new military alliance. It is rather a form of congratulation with 50th universary of EU. The article has been written apparently by mr.Putin's aides because of wording and style.
  7. What country is the main (economical and geo-political rival) of EU? :thumright:
  8. They say; 'a gentleman is someone who protects a woman from everyone except himself'? Nice to see Putin acting the gentleman, but he really has to decide if he wants to a be A-another friend of Europe, or if he wants to join in.

9. Cow

Cow LE

Is Russia in such a good condition or is it just trying to form allies to trade with? Whilst being aware their natural resorces seem to power most of Europe, have they much else to offer?
  10. Who will defend the incontinent?
  11. Cow

Cow LE

Tenna lady
  12. I think the basic principles of the EU (liberal capitalist democracies) make a close relation with the current Russia impossible. The best we can hope for is limited cooperation on areas of mutual interest.

I'd be interested to know who he thought should be senior partner in this alliance. Perhaps Germany might have different ideas... Again.
  13. True Sergy, it was my head line as I have advocated a RU/EU/China/Anglosphere alliance for some time now.

And that would hardly draw a decent response from ARRSER's now would it?
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I think he means you actually....
  15. No, it is a good theme, worth to be discussed. And the question about the very possibility of Russo-European alliance (that existed a century ago) is not senseless.