VLADIMIR Putin has been accused of sending gas prices soaring, which threaten to leave supermarket shelves in the UK bare.

Who is guilty?

• Putin

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Only Putin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Putin again and again

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Always Putin

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Mostly Putin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia along with Norway, Algeria, Qatar, USA and other gas producers

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Nobody is guilty. It is market. Just pay market price.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Some idiots in Brussels and London

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

SurviveToFight

Old-Salt
The UK buys gas from Russia ..
UK: oil and gas imports | Statista
What seems odd is that the UK buys oil and gas from the USA, and yet "In 2020, the U.S. imported more oil and refined products from Russian than from Saudi Arabia, with Russia’s share of American oil exports at a record-high 7 percent"
The U.S. Imports Record Share Of Russian Oil Despite Tensions | OilPrice.com
I can only assume the USA buys from Russia and sells to the UK at a profit.Or might they be doing the UK a favor for a change?

I'll admit that you're better than most Slavic-speaking trolls, who tend to give themselves away by struggling with indefinite articles in English but, no matter how good a misinformation farmer you think you may be, little mistakes like that will always trip you up. Nice try though, SteveLuhansk.

Poppycock

War Hero
Last edited:

ACAB

LE
My wife works for National Grid at the Isle of Grain. We import zilch - yes zilch - from Russia with regards to gas.

ACAB

LE
My wife works for National Grid at the Isle of Grain. We import zilch - yes zilch - from Russia with regards to gas.
NEWSFLASH

My wife informs me that Russians DO land gas at the Grain Depot but that is only for it to be 'converted' into saleable stuff world wide.......................as they lack the facility to do so themselves. And they pay for the privilege.

But, and I reiterate, we don't buy gas from the Russians.

Poppycock

War Hero
We import zilch - yes zilch - from Russia with regards to gas.
Does that insulate us from mainland Europe market fluctuations?

gass.png

NEWSFLASH

My wife informs me that Russians DO land gas at the Grain Depot but that is only for it to be 'converted' into saleable stuff world wide.......................as they lack the facility to do so themselves. And they pay for the privilege.

But, and I reiterate, we don't buy gas from the Russians.
The UK itself produces a lot of gas (about half of consumed) but has to imports it. Russia is a minor supplier.
_121051364_natural_gas_supply_640-2x-nc.png

However, in market economy internal prices in the UK have to be correlated with prices in Europe and they are extremely high.

Poppycock

War Hero
However, in market economy internal prices in the UK have to be correlated with prices in Europe and they are extremely high.
You're not the only one saying that:

“Domestic energy prices are going to go up 45% to 50% in the spring,” warned Emma Pinchbeck, the chief executive of Energy UK, speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday

Poppycock

War Hero
First BBC radio4 mention of soaring gas prices (50% higher) in the New Year I've heard, reported on the midnight news (Christmas Eve early morning)

i.e. an impending energy crisis that's been in the EU/financial news all week gets buried by the BBC just before it goes wall-to-wall baby Jesus

Duh, Brexit, obvs.

That was also the reason why the Americans lost in Vietnam, why the Russians lost in Afghanistan and why JFK underwent radical facial reconstruction.

I hear the murder of Abraham Lincoln has also been proven to to be a result of Brexit, as has the First World War.

Poppycock

War Hero
This is comedy gold in its omissions & blaming the looming gas crisis on a lack of wind this summer
As a result, wholesale energy prices rose sharply and, in recent weeks, have hit their highest levels of 2021.
Reasons include:
  • A cold winter in Europe last year put pressure on supplies and, as a result, stored gas supplies were low
  • A relatively windless summer meant it was difficult to replenish those supplies
  • There's been increased demand from Asia - especially China - for liquefied natural gas.
There are a number of technical and geopolitical issues at play as well...

This smells to me like Putin is getting the blame for some good old profiteering by the energy cartels. Trebles all round for some in the industry.

BTW, I'm no fan of Putin.

Good.

There's plenty of things we can blame the gay, child-abusing tw@t for, whether he is guilty of them or not.

I blame him for Covid.

The Chinese developed it and launched it on the world of course, but Putin was still ultimately responsible because he is Russian and should have wiped out the Chinese back in the 70's, the feckin' weak, paedo gaylord.

One of the lightbulbs in my home office has gone and it is Putin's fault the queer pederast. He has probably shoved it up his arse, or the arse of the little boy he is abusing.

I'm not a fan of his either.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Good.

There's plenty of things we can blame the gay, child-abusing tw@t for, whether he is guilty of them or not.

I blame him for Covid.

The Chinese developed it and launched it on the world of course, but Putin was still ultimately responsible because he is Russian and should have wiped out the Chinese back in the 70's, the feckin' weak, paedo gaylord.

One of the lightbulbs in my home office has gone and it is Putin's fault the queer pederast. He has probably shoved it up his arse, or the arse of the little boy he is abusing.

I'm not a fan of his either.
Not a fan I take it?

Poppycock

War Hero
The BBC's still falling over itself to avoid reporting that Europe's gas supply from Russia has been stopped for six days now

Wot with troop buildups, massive gas price rise forecasts & more, I can't help thinking this is huge

The BBC's still falling over itself to avoid reporting that Europe's gas supply from Russia has been stopped for six days now
There are different routes for gas export from Russia to Europe: via Turkey, via Ukraine, through Nord Steam 1 directly to Germany and through Yamal-Europe pipeline to Polish border. Gazprom continues gas supplies to Europe according to contractual obligation but during a few days Yamal-Europe pipeline is no used for export. That's all. Gazprom has right to decide what pipeline should be used.
Wot with troop buildups, massive gas price rise forecasts & more, I can't help thinking this is huge

I would like to quote your source.
The Yamal-Europe pipeline that usually delivers Russian gas to Western Europe was sending the fuel back to Poland for a sixth straight day on Sunday, according to data from German network operator Gascade.
Russian gas giant Gazprom has not booked gas transit capacity for exports via the Yamal-Europe pipeline for Dec. 25, auction results showed.
Gazprom usually books capacity via the route on a short-term basis, after Poland and Russia chose not to extend their long-term transit deal last year.
Putin said Poland had “sidelined” Russia from managing the Yamal-Europe pipeline, which has been working in reverse mode by sending gas eastward. The pipeline runs from Russia to Belarus and further to Poland and Germany.
Putin said on Thursday that Germany was reselling Russian gas to Poland and Ukraine rather than relieving an overheated market.
Germany receives (relatively inexpensive) gas from Russia according to long term contracts and it would be profitable to resell it according to European market prices.
Russia has repeatedly dismissed charges it has played politics over gas and says it is meeting all the amounts it is contracted to supply. Companies with supply deals have also said their contracts have been met.

Poppycock

War Hero
There are different routes for gas export from Russia to Europe: via Turkey, via Ukraine, through Nord Steam 1 directly to Germany and through Yamal-Europe pipeline to Polish border. Gazprom continues gas supplies to Europe according to contractual obligation but during a few days Yamal-Europe pipeline is no used for export. That's all. Gazprom has right to decide what pipeline should be used.

I would like to quote your source.

Germany receives (relatively inexpensive) gas from Russia according to long term contracts and it would be profitable to resell it according to European market prices.
I'm watching the talks about NATO's eastward expansion towards Russian territory,

... the commissioning issues regarding Nord Stream 2,

... and Europe wide gas price hike predictions and consequences with interest.

Not entirely true. Russian gas comes into the UK via the interconnectors, albeit only around 5% by volume. Being an interconnected market, the UK is not shielded from price and supply volatility at the margin.

Last edited:

Latest Threads