VLADIMIR Putin has been accused of sending gas prices soaring, which threaten to leave supermarket shelves in the UK bare.

Who is guilty?

• Putin

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Only Putin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Putin again and again

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Always Putin

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Mostly Putin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia along with Norway, Algeria, Qatar, USA and other gas producers

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Nobody is guilty. It is market. Just pay market price.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Some idiots in Brussels and London

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
1632311139533.png

VLADIMIR Putin has been accused of sending gas prices soaring, which threaten to leave supermarket shelves in the UK bare.
The rise in prices of natural gas meant a knock-on effect that has led to food and drink makers warning of “chaos” as supplies to shops are in danger.
Russia’s state-owned Gazprom supplier has been accused of “deliberate market manipulation” to send gas prices to record levels, which it has denied.
The accusation about Gazprom was made by a group of 40 MEPs, who have asked the European Commission to investigate.
The MEPs said they were suspicious of the company's "effort to pressure" Europe to agree a fast launch to its Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, which Putin has been pushing.
They cited as evidence incidents including the recent reduction in Gazprom's production and the company refusing to pump gas through existing pipelines.

I also blame Biden for being nice to the Germans and letting this situation play out. Brexit is the secondary item to point the finger at anymore…
But, but, our glorious and infallible government has promised to close the pipeline immediately if little Vladimir is a bad boy again.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Duh, Brexit, obvs.

That was also the reason why the Americans lost in Vietnam, why the Russians lost in Afghanistan and why JFK underwent radical facial reconstruction.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
But, but, our glorious and infallible government has promised to close the pipeline immediately if little Vladimir is a bad boy again.
To be honest, that's tantamount to a declaration of war, so I'm not surprised Merkel is backing away from that.

I did think Russia may have had some kind of influence with what’s happening.

They are significant suppliers and it’s been flagged up in the past that they could play games if the EU etc put all it’s eggs in the Gazprom basket.

I’m not sure I’m happy with the Sun newspaper forming the same conclusions as me though. :)

Problem is…. What do we do about it. Any solution is by necessity going to be a while, a couple of years at least, before it makes any difference unless Russia changes course.

It also makes you wonder what they are thinking of next. From a defensive point of view, I’d start reconsidering any cuts to our capability to defend ourselves In Western Europe.

I’m not suggesting it’s going to kick off. We just need to be able to show that it would be silly to go there!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This is what happens when net zero nutters and other eco-loons get involved with energy policy.

Frakking could re-generate Northern England, deliver the energy we need, reduce the amount of imported energy with its associated costs and drive the Levelling Up agenda by creating meaningful and substantial economic activity.

Unfortunately Bojo seems to be listening to Princess Nut Nut.

Any halfwit should have seen that allowing a potentially hostile source become a major supplier of a strategic commodity was just asking for this to happen.

This is what happens when net zero nutters and other eco-loons get involved with energy policy.

Frakking could re-generate Northern England, deliver the energy we need, reduce the amount of imported energy with its associated costs and drive the Levelling Up agenda by creating meaningful and substantial economic activity.

Unfortunately Bojo seems to be listening to Princess Nut Nut.
Yup - his missus isn't healthy for the country, and by definition, his adherence to her will shows him to be sorely lacking, more than before.

Hope - when did it dry up?

Any halfwit should have seen that allowing a potentially hostile source become a major supplier of a strategic commodity was just asking for this to happen.
The Arabs are easy in the grand scheme of things - keep them in gold plated tat and they're happy.

Russian's - far more dangerous.

To be honest, that's tantamount to a declaration of war, so I'm not surprised Merkel is backing away from that.
Merkel won't be doing anything for too much longer, not that the potential successors are any better.
If the case arises, I hope that my government will remember this promise and that if this does not happen, the international pressure will become unbearably high.

One does not make oneself dependent on murderers and autocrats.

But the Russians are really nice people, or so some believe.

So what would the impact on your economy if natural prices in Europe go up ten plus percent?

Naturally! Until they don’t.
Then it's up to the other states to tighten the thumbscrews and make it really hurt.
I have no problem with that, even though it will certainly hit me in one way or another.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The Arabs are easy in the grand scheme of things - keep them in gold plated tat and they're happy.

Russian's - far more dangerous.

Up to a point. We're a major customer for Qatar's LNG and Qatar is one of the leading fishers in troubled Islamic waters.

Then it's up to the other states to tighten the thumbscrews and make it really hurt.
I have no problem with that, even though it will certainly hit me in one way or another.
Yes you will take it in the pocket book, but at least you will know to expect it. I would say America could provide for Europe and help offset the Ivan’s. But our own environmental wacker doodles are in power and they hate fossil fuels.

So save your Euros and embrace the suck!

Yes you will take it in the pocket book, but at least you will know to expect it. I would say America could provide for Europe and help offset the Ivan’s. But our own environmental wacker doodles are in power and they hate fossil fuels.

So save your Euros and embrace the suck!
Well, it fits perfectly that we have finally decided to build an LNG terminal in order to become less dependent on the Russians and to buy LNG from the Americans, for example.

Well, it fits perfectly that we have finally decided to build an LNG terminal in order to become less dependent on the Russians and to buy LNG from the Americans, for example.
If Trump was in office this would be the perfect moment to attempt to improve diplomatic relations with Europe. But the Biden admin doesn’t seem to take advantage of these opportunities.

Latest Threads