VJ Day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Aug 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just walked in from my morning walk up the hill, ta see Vicount Slim reading the Imphala Epithap (Spelling).
    from my memory.

When you go home, tell them of us and say For your tomorrow we gave our today.

Touching left me feeling quite weak.
    Makes you proud to see the Old Lads, can't say same for Chols tho.
    john

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Kohima Epitaph is always immensely moving. Unless you are the Prime Minister, of course, when your holiday is much more important than honouring the memory of so many who died or suffered as prisoners of war. Victory in Iraq Day, anyone?

3. I was at the Burma Star Association's Scottish reunion and commemoration service yesterday. An unforgettable day, perfect arrangements, excellent support from Aberdeen City Council. HRH TDOE (patron of the Burma Star Association) was present, no-one more appropriate, very warmly and sincerely appreciated by the veterans. Service reps including the GOC were also present. There would certainly have been no need for Mr Blair to interrupt his holiday for our ceremony.

4. God bless em all!

I am perturbed why the "official" ceremony took place some weeks before the actual anniversary, and the only conclusion I could arrive at is that some PC idiots decided to deconflict the atom bomb anniversaries with the commemoration...rewriting history somewhat!

5. I don't think it was atom bomb deconfliction, but rather that it was bloody inconsiderate for the Japanese to surrender at the same time as El Presienté's pre-booked hols in the Caribbean.

6. The kohima epitaph makes me feel immensely in debt. Bless!

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

My old man sat in his chair watching the limited TV coverage and commented how "That $%^& Blair made the right decision to go on his holidays!"

He served 3 years in Burma as a 20 year old and can still recall the days with pride. Unlike Blair!

8. To all those that fought in these conflicts,for our freedom, I salute you.

Whereas to Tony 'Double standards' Bliar with his "respect your elders rants", may you rot in hell, and be struck down with the pox of a thousand camels.