Vista - Ready Boost

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by ViolentBadger, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone think the option to use a memory stick to increas speed really works. I have tried a 256K and a 4Gig stick and I can't notice a speed boost.
  2. msr

msr LE

It doesn't:

but it may be that your sticks are not fast enough.

3. Not tried but must be a cheaper way rather than fixed memory card slot thingies.
  4. The ironic thing is, is that Ready boost is only available on Vista, but is only really any good on machines that shouldn't have Vista on them anyway :)

As much as I like Vista on my new PC, I would not upgrade my older laptop to it.

So in short, if you have a new PC with Vista on it and it came with 1GB or more of memory (you need a slap for buying it if it didnt) then ReadyBoost simply isnt worth it
  5. The sticks are fast enough, and I have 1 gig of memory. The article is a good read. Thanks.
  6. i tried it, and it 'seemed' to knock about 30 seconds from booting time.
    i ran this registry hack that optimises the readyboost and prefetch settings:

[prefetch=boot, Superprefetch=Apps]:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]

use it at your own risk ie. backup your registry before you do it. copy the italised text and paste it into notepad, then save it as readyboost_tweak.reg then right-click it and install it.

these are the original windows vista default settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]

copy and paste that into notepad and save it as readyboost_default.reg, and if the tweak doesn't work for you install that one and it will return the values to the default ones.

if you are savvy with registry editor you can change the values that way.
  7. Interesting mate, thanks for the tip :)