Vista - Programs that work, or dont......

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Tango34_UK, Feb 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well after having installed Vista, and finding that a some older games (and some newer) don't work. I was wondering if other users were having simular problems?

Programs that I can get to work....

Vista
    Office 2003
    Company of Heroes

Not Working

Ebay - Turbo lister (Patch due March / April 2007)
    Medieval 2 - I belive it can be made to work - Has anyone managed it? Help??

2. Zone alarm, Kaspersky, and most Security products don't work either. Not to mention any program that requires access to the vista Kernel.

3. Does:

AVG FREE
    XFire
    Daemon Tools
    Ventrillo
    Winrar
    Winamp
    VLC Player
    Sim City 3000 :)
    uTorrent
    Firefox
    Steam - For Counter Strike etc

Doesnt:

Eve Online - may have just been a dodgy install tho
    No Windows Media Player on the 'N' Version

Iv'e heard theres problems with iTunes too, but if you use that then you deserve everything you get.

4. most computer experts recommend to wait awhile before purchasing vista whilst the many teething problems are sorted out i think i,ll wait a year or two

5. NTL Broadband or Virgin as it is now, does not work with vista yet!!

6. diablo 2 lord of destruction does not :(

7. There is so many that don't... Nero pre 7.5.1, Nortons, System Mechanic Etc

The new version of Kapersky works fine and the new nero does, just have to update to the new versions

8. msr

msr LE

Outlook XP (2002) does not...

msr

9. Medal of Honour - sorry Honor works
    AVG anti-virus work too

10. There might be some light at the end of the tunnel,

We all need to download direct x 9, then version supplied with vista, isn't a "real" version.....

This is ment to help some of the older games, but im not sure yet, will post more as and when i work it out!

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And Sky BBand does not support it,so if you have Sky & Vista,dont bother ringing Sky for help.

12. It's DirectX 10 with Vista. You should be able to get Vista drivers for your card/chip which will address most issues though.

The comaptibility mode can also be useful:Need for Speed Carbon only runs with Windows 98 compat mode. Try all the emulations for your game or app before declaring it N/S.

A word of warning too - make a backup of critical stuff before any fiddling. One of my PCs totally shat itself when I tried to install Nero 7.

13. What im going to be doing is waiting until its at least had its first service pack which should fix quite a lot of the bugs, just as with Windows XP when it was released.

At least this way you dont have to be one of microsofts guinea pigs in finding out their bugs for them through the error reporting crap, and save yourself from the boredom of not being able to play your favorite games at the same time.