Vista and teh intraweb

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by insert-coin-here, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,just wondering if anybody is using vista and if so what ISP are you with?Im using vista with AOL and the two are simply not compatible on my comp (its a new comp and came pre-installed with vista),so i would like to know what people are using and what issues,if any,you are having.This is just so i dont end up with another lazy ISP who cant be bothered coding software properly.
  2. o2 worked fine
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

My bold, that is one of the worst ISP/Sys combinations that I have ever seen.

Oh, and if you look in this forum, you will find quite a few threads on ISPs!
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Vista has various problems, but as for AOL - i'd rather take an axe to my computer than put that crap on it.
  5. Yup quite a few indeed.The problem is with a lot of the threads they kind of go a bit offtopic quite quickly,and any on-topic info is usually of the "omg those guys suck" ilk.Basically im looking for people who are happy with what they have as far as vista/isp goes,a tall order in cynicysm central i know. :wink:
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Your best bet is to look at the info on here then:

Every ISP is covered and the forae have some very good advice.

Go to

to find out what is available in your area.
  7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

The problem with AOL is, it uses its own browser software, which vista doesn't like. Get an ISP that is simply a connection with a username/password, such as Tiscali (but NOT tiscali, because their service sucks!) and install Firefox.

I'm on Vista, and have no problems other than pants connection speeds in the evenings, attributed to tiscali being baby-eaters.

I do, however, recommend for a good ISP with decent customer support.
  8. Thanks for the gen guys,hopefully ill have a service that doesnt make my eyes bleed again soon.
  9. Talk Talk works well, although their customer service is appalling.

AOL sucks the c0ck of death regardless of which OS you use, change now before it's too late.

But don't change to Talk Talk unless you have plenty of hair to lose...
  10. I run Vista Home Premium on AOL with no problems at all and am happy with the service I recieve off them.
  11. Thanks again for the replies guys.Im looking at BT at the mo as i have heard good things about them,they seem a little pricey tho compared to others.Then again there is that old adage "buy cheap and buy twice".Ref aol i have been with them for a long time but ever since getting vista the compatibility has been shocking.
  12. insert-coin-here, suggest you go on to AOL and look in the broadbacd updates section. you may need to use AOL 9.0 VR or update your connectivity software then the problems seems to go away.

I upgraded to AOL9.0 VR version instead of AOL 9.0 and that fixed some problems then I updated the AOL modem software and now it all seems to work.

If you have any problems please PM me.

AOL is rubbish as a browser as is IE 7.0. I use Mozilla firefox and that males a huge difference
  13. cheers,have pm'ed
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Stay away from Talk Talk if you want to have another ISP on their phoneline!They just ceased 1000's of peoples BBand from other providers on their lines when they started doing the non-BT Line Rental thingy.
    Upshot is,if you have a Talk Talk line,you can only get BBand from them.
  15. I'm using Vista Ultimate w/Sky broadband. The Sky service has improved of late, with better speed and more reliability.

Use AOL with a router rather than a modem, and just surf with Internet Explorer. The router hangs on to the connection, so all you have to do is start IE.