Visiting the old country

Discussion in 'Travel' started by down_under, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. G'day to all,
    I am pretty sure I will once again be visiting the mother country in September...ish this year. This will be the second time to the UK for me, the first being on exercise in '05 where I didn't get to see anything except for the Tower. If you travel around the country can I use my Oz Army ID to stay in Barracks, or is this only for Brit Forces. Why would I want to stay in a Barracks? In case of neccesity. What is the Union Jack club like? Keeping in mind that when I visit my Oz dollar will be equivelant to a bag of gravel. What are the better places to see whilst in UK. I will be there for about one month... and no I am not doing bar work. Spewin I didn't see any of the country last time, so would like to make up for it this time. Any info would be appreciated.
    Oh, I realise I could go onto a web site for travel info but would prefer it from comrades in arms as I am sure we think a little differently to those that run travel companies. :thumright:

2. I do not think that you can use our barracks - and why would you want to? Most of them are awful! Why not join the YHA and use their usually good facilities throughout the country?

I understand the UJC has been upgraded; I haven't used it for years.

What are your interests? Wine, women, song, architecture, landscapes, antiquities, theatre, inner city slums? There is something for everyone in this country.... Let me know and I can suggest a few places!

Litotes

3. Thanks Litotes. I am interested in nearly all those things you mentioned. Love history so that would be a main effort. Like I said, I visited the Tower and thought it was great. Would like to see more of the same. Wine, women and song... yes. Would love another pint of Kronenberg. Pardon my ignorance, but what is YHA? :thumright:

4. down_under,
    What rank are you? A lot of WO & Sgts Messes are now quite liberal for guys staying a couple of nights (A letter to the Mess President beforehand can usually swing it)
    Whereabouts in the UK are you intending to visit or is it a North to South job as there is something everywhere.
    HH

5. G'day HHB,
    I am a WO2. I would want to start off in the north. I found the people nice in the north. I hope I haven't offended anyone, but that was the case. Then move to the south. Up for any suggestions.

6. If you are starting in the north the Yorkshire Moors are beautiful, as is the Lake District.

7. YHA=Youth Hostel Association.

But as you are a WO2 and old and bold, perhaps not! The problem is that the barracks are fairly thinly spread and are not in the nicest parts of the country.

Does the north include Scotland? If yes, then Edinburgh/Glasgae are worth the effort. Then Berwick upon Tweed, Lindisfarne Island, the posh house & garden that featured in Harry Potter, Newcastle (for the social bit, you understand), the Pennines, Durham & Cathedral, N Yorks Moors, York (the dried Viking turd containing a whole walnut in its shell at the Jorvik Centre has to be seen to be believed...), York Minster, Scarborough, the Peak District, Lincoln Cathedral, the Broads, Norfolk (watch out for the women who will be after some fresh DNA....), sweep past London, Hampton Court, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Marlborough Downs, Avebury, Cardiff (no reason other than the women also need some fresh DNA), then slowly up through the Valleys and the Beacons, then across to the Welsh Marches through some of the most beautiful countryside to N Wales.

By which time, I have upset most of the UK and have run out of ideas. Lots of beautiful places with a lot of history. Enjoy!

Litotes

8. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Down_under,
    YHA is the Youth Hostel Association, it provides cheap clean and very affordable accomodation in most areas of the country. Despite the name its open to all, im sure the will be a web site that will allow you to join before you get here(i havent looked but im sure google will have it). As for places up north to visit (im a Midlander myself so like to think im unbiased), Newcastle is great, nightlife, a bit of culture and close to Hadrians wall,Holy Isle and many other sights. If you like your scenery and history then north Wales has again got it all, castles (Castle y Bere,Carnarvon, Harlech to name a few), mountains of Snowdonia and the coast are all worth more than a look. YHA are in all these locations.
    Turning up at barracks on speck might be a bad idea but you never know the reception will vary from unit to unit i suspect, it always worth a try and cant do any harm i suppose.
    Have a good trip.

9. No probs will makes a few calls to some Messes oooop North tomorrow.
    (East and West and a mate in Jockoland)
    Good call by Poppy.
    How are you going to move about UK as train travel is very expensive and poo. (I had a Yank mate come and tour the UK and he bought a second hand car for about £150 then at the end of his travels just dumped it on me, which proved to be a heck of a lot cheaper than hiring. Only snag for yourself will be an address for the ownership papers unless you know someone here already)

10. JINGO

Looks like i crossed posts with Litotes, but as you can see we agree on a lot of things so it must be all good stuff.

11. JINGO

Looks like i crossed posts with Litotes, but as you can see we agree on a lot of things so it must be all good stuff.

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

13. Are you suggesting MDN or Dale or Cuddles et al. God help the poor man.

14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Dale might straighten him out. After all he did go on the p!ss with the paras. Just hope it wasn't 3, mortars!

15. LOL. No, there was no drinking with 3 Para Mortars, but did get to hear the stories from other Para Reg fellas. And of the stories in Brunei.
    Cheers to all that have posted info for the trip and at this stage it is on. Staying with a ARRSEr would be a good idea. I'll just wear one of the t-shirts and wait for someone to recognise and pick me up.
    Once again cheers to all.