Visiting Normandy

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Issi, Jun 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps, I've booked a week in Houlgate in Normandy in August and I was wondering if anyone's got any top tips?

I've never been to Normandy before and wondered if there is a definitive place that i must visit, with regards to the landings.

Cheers
    Issi

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Have a look through the Mil History Forum FFS!

3. FFS! i've had a look through the Mil history pages and after 20 mins couldn't find what i'm asking help for.

Here's an interesting idea for you, if you don't want to help me out, then don't respond to my request with a pointless little dig.

You Cun*

Thanks anyway
    Issi

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It was meant to be a semi helpful pointer, you might not have realised that the forum was there as it was your first post. And also a tad of abuse for being a bit jack! :D

5. Pas de Probleme, Gremlin old chap!

I think i must have been a bit tired and emotional when i responded to your kind piece of advice.

Thanks for the tips and the help
    Regards
    Issi

6. You could do worse than visit Bayeux or Caen, as both areas are steeped in historical artifacts and references to the landings, as well as some nifty souvenir shopping and drinking to be had. Caen's about 10 mins from Houlgate, and Bayeux/Arromanche is about 25 mins.

I've been back to Bayeux a couple of times in recent years, and will gladly go again, especially around June time when all the bunting is up on the streets. Makes you proud to be British.

7. There is a museum at pegasus bridge which is good, also the merville battery.

8. Try this place - not only for the awesome cemetery, but also the mapping of the breakout. The link is interesting, the Niland brothers are mentioned in the Stephen E. Ambrose book, ' Band of Brothers '. viz: 'Saving Private Ryan.'

9. Go to one of the tourist info places and get one of the battlefield maps. In '94 the French brought in what I can only describe as the "seagull" routes. It's about five routes covering various parts of the campaign, such as "The Assault", "The Breakout" etc. Each route covers key points, beaches, batteries etc, and is marked along the way by aforesaid "seagull" on signs, which are half white and half coloured, depending on the route taken.

If you specifically want "the landings" then Utah is good, with a decent museum at the South East end. Arromanches is small and touristy as a town, but the museum is good, particularly the model of the Mulberry.

Azeville battery is worth a visit - fully dug out and a good tour that takes you thro the complete underground system. However, it's a bit of a way from Caen.

August is height of French holiday season so be prepared for crowds - Utah beach can look like Morecambe on a good day.

If you want a break from the battlefields, head to the west of the peninsular for some enormous beaches, paritculalry Carteret.

Enjoy, we will be there again this year at the same time and much looking forward to it.

T23

10. Go to one of the tourist info places and get one of the battlefield maps. In '94 the French brought in what I can only describe as the "seagull" routes. It's about five routes covering various parts of the campaign, such as "The Assault", "The Breakout" etc. Each route covers key points, beaches, batteries etc, and is marked along the way by aforesaid "seagull" on signs, which are half white and half coloured, depending on the route taken.

If you specifically want "the landings" then Utah is good, with a decent museum at the South East end. Arromanches is small and touristy as a town, but the museum is good, particularly the model of the Mulberry.

Azeville battery is worth a visit - fully dug out and a good tour that takes you thro the complete underground system. However, it's a bit of a way from Caen.

August is height of French holiday season so be prepared for crowds - Utah beach can look like Morecambe on a good day.

If you want a break from the battlefields, head to the west of the peninsular for some enormous beaches, paritculalry Carteret.

T23

11. The previous day Fritz Niland had gone to 82nd to see his brother Bob...

Fritz Niland had just learned that his brother had been killed on D-Day.

Fritz hitched a ride to 4th Infantry Division to see another brother who was a platoon leader. He too had been killed on D-Day, on Utah Beach. By the time Fritz returned to Easy Company, Father Francis Sampson was looking for him, to tell him that a third brother, a pilot in China-Burma-India theatre, had been killed that same week..

Fritz was the sole surviving son, and the Army wanted to remove him from the combat zone as soon as possible.

12. Hi,
    Below are a couple of links to websites that might be of interest.

This one gives suggested routes etc for a tour of each landing area.
    http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/normandie1/home.htm

Cemeteries, Monuments and Museums are listed by town/village on this website. Includes map of each location.
    http://www.normandie44lamemoire.com/villes/touteslesvilles.html

And here are a couple of links where Normandy has been mentioned on ARRSE.
    http://arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1309214.html#1309214

http://arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=46964/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

From Houlgate its pretty easy to visit the Merville Battery museum, Pegasus Bridge and then onto Sword, Juno and Gold Beaches if you have the time.

Have a good trip.

13. Thanks guys, you've all given me some great ideas, it's a shame i'm only going for a week!

Cheers
    Issi