Visiting Greenwich. Any tips?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
As the title says, my next trip to that there London will include a trip to Greenwich Observatory, one from my bucket list.

I'll be staying near Waterloo, so plan to use the Thames as a route.

Any tips for the best way to get there, and make the most of the day? We're both fit and able to walk a distance.

Thanks in advance.

Stay away from the Date Line.
Or not.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
Another route is Tube from Waterloo and then change to DLR at Canary Wharf which is quiet impressive.
For the experience you can also hop off the DLR at Island Gardens and walk through the foot tunnel to Cutty Sark.

Register a debit card at TFL to use bus, train, tube and DLR.

The Cutty Sark is worth a visit even if it is just to go to the restaurant that is now below it, the Maritime Museum is defintley worth a look. Also if you like beer there is a pub that does its own beer just outside the Palace.

Stay away from the Date Line.
Or not.
Exactly.
Tried to get get a photo of the long haired one with a foot in both hemispheres, do you think the Asians would move aside for even a short click with the camera?
No chance gave up in the end and walked away swearing profusely.

Maritime Museum and Cutty Sark definitely.

The Thames Barrier trip is cool. Get on/off just in front of Cutty Sark to the right. Or starboard if you will.

The observatory and planetarium are great too.

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
If you are in Waterloo for a few days.
139 bus will get you to Oxford Street and Selfridges. 211 to Sloane Square and Kings Road. Much better view than the tube.

Great walk down the embankment to Tower Bridge and St Katherine docks. Think you can get the RV1 bus back.

DAS

Old-Salt
Last time we were there also went down the hill to the maritime museum & young master DAS was roped in as a powder monkey. Made his day.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Top thing to see is the Old Royal Naval College. Besides the Painted Hall (recently reopened) and the chapel there is also a rare relief in Coad Stone on the inside courtyard of the building containing the P.Hall ('King William' block, which once hosted the only nuclear reactor in a Listed building). The Chalk Walk which links these two blocks underground may or may not be opened, it was the only place where the old pensioners were allowed to smoke. Also, the Queen's House which I think is managed as a separate attraction from the National Maritime Museum.

To get the most out of this amazing area it is well worth while reading up on it at some length. Whether you will be able to make out the seatings of the bars of the window behind which Admiral Byng was held pending his court martial is another matter.

As to the Observatory, take time to see the terracotta work on the outsides of some of the buildings.

The DLR trip is interesting as it winds its way across the Isle of Dogs.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Another route is Tube from Waterloo and then change to DLR at Canary Wharf which is quiet impressive.
For the experience you can also hop off the DLR at Island Gardens and walk through the foot tunnel to Cutty Sark.

Register a debit card at TFL to use bus, train, tube and DLR.
I just invested in an Oyster card. Himself has a free one due to his War Pension. Do they work on DLR?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Oyster is fine on DLR. There is a small top up fee for the riverbus. Just show your oyster card when you buy your tickets.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks all. More reading to do before the visit, but I am determined to go and get the best out of it.

Latest Threads