Visiting Cape Wrath.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sandmanfez, Aug 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After watching the latest episode of "Coast" this weekend, I've decided that a trip to the cape is in order. I've consulted my map and had a quick Google, but I cant see when the ferry service from Durness finishes for the winter, does anyone know?
    Also, as I dont relish the prospect of being on the receiving end of a naval bombardment, does anyone know the range schedule for September.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Would like to help, but went up 4 years ago, followed the road admiring the fantastic golden strand and got to, what was supposed to be the ferry point at Keodale. No mention of timings, then. No visible contact made of any ferry, let alone rowing boat. Ended up going into Durness and going to Smoo cave.

All that bloody way and unable to get across :evil:
  3. Try calling this number and asking for Durness tourist information centre

0845 225 5121
  4. Ref range days - give 148 Bty in Poole a bell, Apparently their bods were there doing NGS training when the filming took place.
  5. Well, I dunno where they'll have you staying, but, there is a distinctive LACK of "recreational opportunities" up the North West of Sutherland. There is FECK all in every direction. If you have the opportunity to go to Wick or Thurso - don't bother it's absolute PANTS. I know I used to live there. The local women will damned near shag anything that isn't a local, purely for variety. And they ain't that great looking either. Inverness, my home town, isn't much better, in reality.

IIRC (QinetiQ????) staff from the Bombing range at RAF Tain runs the Cape Wrath Range as and when required, quite a few of them are ex-mob.

Beautiful but bloody boring up there. But loads of nice wee pubs, and hotels, you can get a good meal and a good pint at.
  6. ......Sandwood bay.........trout/salmon fishing is a delight as is fishing anywhere on the ranges side of Cape Wrath. forget all that fly crap..just dig up a nice juicy earthworm and pop it on a hook tied to a cork for a float. I'm a Philistine I know but fresh caught trout are delicious.
  7. Thanks for the feedback, things are coming together, and I should be heading for the cape mid September. The bleak and isolated nature of the locale is the reason it appeals. These days, I spend the majority of my working life cooped up in air-conditioned offices, cars, airports etc so I rely on my occasional trips into the Ulu to stay sane.
    The usual brief is to intersperse nights at hotels enjoying their best food and drink (and trying my luck with the local talent :D ) with 36hr overnight circular routes covering 40 - 50 miles and living out of my bergen. I'm a man of simple pleasures, and life doesn't get much better than that in my book.
  8. take your goretex!
  9. Dont worry on that score, I taught Ray Mears everything he knows..........................but not everything I know! :wink:
  10. Right, been there and done it, got home early hours Sunday. Forget Durness and the ferry as it is too unreliable, Kinlochbervie is a much safer bet.
    The scenery is spectacular, and the sense of isolation makes a refreshing change, but unless you're a masochist or have something to prove, stick to the coastal areas and avoid the interior.
    The whole area is one bloody huge peat bog, and continually running with water, it makes Brecon look like the Sahara.
    For every step forward you will also have to step up and then down over a 12" rock or tussock, and you will be continually fording the numerous streams that run off of the peaks.
    We were out on the Cape for Thursday and Friday, with the night spent lying in a peat bog, soaked to the skin (despite the Goretex) and enjoying the gale force Atlantic wind bringing the rain in horizontally at an inch an hour.
    Despite forty-odd years experience of winter hillwalking, between the two of us, we both agreed, the Cape is tougher than anywhere else we've experienced.
  11. Did the walk up the coast on a May day bank holiday. Camped the first night at sandwood bay and tabbed to Cape Wrath the following day. Got the summer minibus to the ferry. Weather and scenrey was fabby.

You meet some odd sorts, met a lass who had been walking round the impact area for a month "recovering from a realtionship". At the southern end folks were offering us cups of tea and biscuits, one old dear even offered us a meal! Seems they see a lot of the Ridgeway refugees up that way and they are usually in a bit of state.
  12. Have family from Durness and went there alot as a kid. Huge sandy beaches (bloody cold water) and no trip was complete without a trip to Smoo Cave. Bee to the cape a couple of times, gorgeous scenery but best treated with respect.

"Balnakiel Bay for me"
  13. Jeez that is an understatement!

Great Grandfather used to run the shop in Kinlochbervie Harbour, (Old Harbour that is) Used to go up every summer but alas a links with the area are now dead, trips to the sun seem to get the vote everytime nowadays. What with the weather, midges (Spawn of satan) and lack of good fishing Lochs.

Climbing Foinaven is to be recommended, the view (if the weather is good enough) is fcuking amazing, well worth the long trog. Know what you mean about the interior, after a while you always pick the long route and stay high! Agree with all that mentioned it, Sandwood Bay is the best beach in the world, cold water but the views are again just amazing! Scmoo Cave is interesting but it is just a cave.

Also the West Highland Route is without doubt the best driving road in the UK, the only time I ever got smoke from the brakes on my S2000.