Visa help

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MSI64, May 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Ok I have a question regarding my wife

    She is American and has been living in the UK, now we have been married two years and her Visa runs out in November. We have checked with the Visa people and have been told its £750 for her visa application, which is non refundable. My question is this is there any way the Army might pay this fee or am I going to have to rent out my Wife till its paid off.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Your wife, not the Army's.
  3. They don't even want to pay for our passports, and they are the ones that send us on sandy holidays all the time!!!
  4. Well, this doesn't all make sense to me. I grew up in the UK, as an American with an American family but British step-mother.

    My understanding is, if she is married to a British National, she shouldn't be applying for a visa. She should be applying for right of abode or right of residency. Both of these are "permanent" (i.e., you do not have to renew them, but are, of course, rescindable by the Home Office if she is naughty).

    Is this what you are referring to? If so, you have to pay (why should the Army?), but at least it's only once.

  5. Cow

    Cow LE

    Paid for mine no questions asked?
  6. Probably mistook her for an American of Pakistani descent.
  7. Sounds about right- unless he's planning on kicking her into touch. :twisted:
  8. Friendly_fire is correct about the types of visa required. As said earlier it is a one off payment payable by the individual. :cry:
  9. Thats what your ID card and a nato travel order are for (paid for by HM Forces)
  10. We have lived in the UK for two years now and are just trying to get things in order to get a permanent Visa/ right to residency
    750 quid for the Visa plus twenty pieces of ID with her name on it and a citizenship test.
    Have spoken to a clerk who has said the Army has paid for it before
    Thanks for the advice
  11. they will pay if you are posted abroad or warned for a tour, but if it justs happens to run out then its unlucky.
  12. I know, with the way the thread was going i thought i'd be ironic. So is that a chod bite?