Visa expires just after I start basic. What do I do????

#1
Hi all

Need a bit of help here. I start my basic training on the 18 October but my visa expires on the 30 October and Im not 100% sure what happens then, whether I can stay without a visa or not. The careers office tell me that when I get down to catterick they send my passport away to sort out a new visa or what ever I need to stay, Is this correct or do I need to sort it out myself???
 
#3
Bazil said:
Hi all

Need a bit of help here. I start my basic training on the 18 October but my visa expires on the 30 October and Im not 100% sure what happens then, whether I can stay without a visa or not. The careers office tell me that when I get down to catterick they send my passport away to sort out a new visa or what ever I need to stay, Is this correct or do I need to sort it out myself???
They probably know best.
 
#5
EX_STAB said:
Bazil said:
Hi all

Need a bit of help here. I start my basic training on the 18 October but my visa expires on the 30 October and Im not 100% sure what happens then, whether I can stay without a visa or not. The careers office tell me that when I get down to catterick they send my passport away to sort out a new visa or what ever I need to stay, Is this correct or do I need to sort it out myself???
They probably know best.
I thought that aswel mate but they werent 100% sure they said that I f I had been given a start date before my visa expires then I should be fine they should do it when I get to catterick. Im back checking, Id rather be safe then sorry, you no what I mean.
 
#6
Go to your admin office and they'll help.

As long as you are serving, I believe you have the "Right to Remain" and the visa will not be an issue. MOD Form 90, better than a visa!!
 
#7
from UK Border Agency Immigration Directorate instructions:

A person who is admitted as exempt from control will remain exempt provided he continues to fall within the provisions of Section 8(4) of the 1971 Act.
A person admitted in another capacity (e.g. visitor, student) who wishes to join HM Forces should be advised to contact them directly - enlistment is entirely a matter for the armed force concerned. Normally, initial contact with a local recruitment office will be followed by a series of tests, interviews and later, an intensive selection lasting 1.5 days. After this, if a person is to be accepted into one of the armed forces, he will be invited to take an oath of allegiance. This is the point at which he is formally enlisted into HM Forces (for a minimum period of 4 years) and becomes exempt from control under Section 8(4). This attestation ceremony will usually take place at the local recruitment office immediately prior to the commencement of Phase 1 basic training which may last 26 weeks (or 12 weeks in the case of non-infantry recruits).
Once the applicant has been enlisted into HM Forces, he should submit his passport to the UK Border Agency (with a covering note from the military unit, no application form required)....
LINKS
 
#8
Spoke with the online careers officer and he said that when I get to basic they will stamp my passport with a unrestricted right of entry to the uk for the time I serve. Does anyone no what that means?? I no I can stay but are there any terms to it????
 
#9
that just means that as long as you are in the army you have the right to stay in the uk. and ofcourse when you leave the army that visa expires
 
#10
mr.sniper said:
that just means that as long as you are in the army you have the right to stay in the uk. and ofcourse when you leave the army that visa expires
thats right. its not really a visa. As long as you are in the army you are exempt from immigration control. you can come and go from the uk as you please. technically you don´t even need the stamp. it just makes it easier to verify your status to immigration officers at the airport, to open bank account etc
 

Latest Threads