Virus protection software

Windows Defender just let me down big time; it claimed to have quarantined a bunch of worms, but the same worms then corrupted my hard drive, 'cos Defender's sh*te. Can anyone recommend some (preferably free) virus protection software suitable for Windows XP?

Ta
B_Z

(edited for bad spelling)

bravo Zulu

PM Inbound

Stilts

Dark_Swamp said:
AVG all the way. Windows defender some how let a trojen horse on my pc.
Windows Defender is NOT an anti virus program, It's anti-spyware only.

You need either AVG Free or Nod32 , I'd pay up and get Nod32, works a treat.

Nod32 is the nuts compared to the Norton crap I got rid of.
Puter a zillion times faster, boots up in no time, and no shite gets through,very happy with it for the last 6 months :pc:
and you get a month free trial! :D

Another vote for AVG here, but an alternative free set of tools is the Google Pack which included a version of Norton and a good spyware tool (PC Tools) when I downloaded a previous one, and I got rid of the other tag-ons that came with it as I had no need for them.

Why is AVG suddenly so fashionable, I wonder?

Never mind. I've got Kaspersky 'cos the real experts (some work-experience hackers at PCPro, probably) said it was the best. It probably is, although I wouldn't know, really. I don't think I've got any infections. Unfortunately it seems to be designed for use by those who know what 'ports' do, and what the difference is between NNPT, IMAP and SSL, whatever they are. I've had to call their support crew to get it sorted a couple of times, but it's working fine now (Better than that Norton monster).

oh please avoid Norton at all costs my friends used it and are still having
psychopherapy treatment to control their anger and their computer repair bills(after they hit it )was enormous

Bravo_Zulu said:
Windows Defender just let me down big time; it claimed to have quarantined a bunch of worms, but the same worms then corrupted my hard drive, 'cos Defender's sh*te. Can anyone recommend some (preferably free) virus protection software suitable for Windows XP?

Ta
B_Z

(edited for bad spelling)
Have a look here for a decent firewall:

Firewall comparisons

Don't forget you'll need to find an antivirus program too unless you choose one of the security programs listed here.

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have used AVG for some years now having been recommended it on this site. Have just had a pop-up when it did its scan to tell me that I will have to upgrade to AVG 8.0 after May 31st at a cost of 40 pounds a year.

Not that I'm a skinflint but can anyone recommend another free anti-virus. Frankly my surfing is limited to a few shops (most of which I know), emails (nearly all from people I know and very rarely including attachments) and ARRSE so I (touch wood) probably don't need an all-singing all-dancing programme.

Grateful for any advice.

C_C

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DMSDAVE Gaming and Software 20
blessed baby cakes The Other Half 6
msr Army Reserve 0