Virus on a Pen Drive!!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Howler, Feb 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how to de-virus a pen drive?
    Please let me know if you do
    Thanks

2. if you have a virus sweeper you should be able to point it in the direction of your pen drive and hopefully let it do the work

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Format it.

4. Have a USB drive that i use for work, and every time it goes into my laptop or my rig at home i get virus warnings, saying something is based in AUTOPLAY.EXE.

Have formatted the drive several times, even got a new drive, but is it possible that the batch files and third-party software i need loaded on the drive are kicking up the errors?
    Also, it won't let me double click the drive in an explorer window, i have to right click to get in the thing!

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yes.

What kind of software is it? Seems strange having an Autoplay executable, if it isn't on a CD. How "third party" is it? :D

6. :D Got it from donkey.com!
    No, it's software specific to the company/systems we are running. We have had it written for us. It isn't invasive to anything, but the batch files dump some text into the registry to allow site-specific data to be recorded and sent from one PC.

I've never found the executable AUTOPLAY.EXE anywhere. I just guessed it would be the settings file to allow Windows to open the corresponding program/run a splash screen.

7. Thanks everyone,
    easy really!

--Walks off feeling a bit of a kn*bhead--

8. msr

msr LE

Send to your AV maker and they will remove the false positive.

msr