• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Virus on a Pen Drive!!

Fugly said:
Format it.
Have a USB drive that i use for work, and every time it goes into my laptop or my rig at home i get virus warnings, saying something is based in AUTOPLAY.EXE.

Have formatted the drive several times, even got a new drive, but is it possible that the batch files and third-party software i need loaded on the drive are kicking up the errors?
Also, it won't let me double click the drive in an explorer window, i have to right click to get in the thing!

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
SparkySteve said:
Fugly said:
Format it.
Have a USB drive that i use for work, and every time it goes into my laptop or my rig at home i get virus warnings, saying something is based in AUTOPLAY.EXE.

Have formatted the drive several times, even got a new drive, but is it possible that the batch files and third-party software i need loaded on the drive are kicking up the errors?
Also, it won't let me double click the drive in an explorer window, i have to right click to get in the thing!
Yes.

What kind of software is it? Seems strange having an Autoplay executable, if it isn't on a CD. How "third party" is it? :D

:D Got it from donkey.com!
No, it's software specific to the company/systems we are running. We have had it written for us. It isn't invasive to anything, but the batch files dump some text into the registry to allow site-specific data to be recorded and sent from one PC.

I've never found the executable AUTOPLAY.EXE anywhere. I just guessed it would be the settings file to allow Windows to open the corresponding program/run a splash screen.

SparkySteve said:
:D Got it from donkey.com!
No, it's software specific to the company/systems we are running. We have had it written for us. It isn't invasive to anything, but the batch files dump some text into the registry to allow site-specific data to be recorded and sent from one PC.

I've never found the executable AUTOPLAY.EXE anywhere. I just guessed it would be the settings file to allow Windows to open the corresponding program/run a splash screen.
Send to your AV maker and they will remove the false positive.

msr

Latest Threads