Virus/Malware attack

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Auld-Yin, Jun 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My main pooter has been affected by a site which is trying to sell me their AV system. It has now stoped me doing anything, each time I try to get something like system restore it just closes it strsight away and says the link is affected. I know, they are the ones doing the affecting. I can't open tinterweb or anything. My AV software said it found nothing then was locked down by this malware.

Right, that is my tale of woe - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this pest. The addess is

Any help will be very welcome.

2. msr

msr LE

Get out a memory stick, go here: and get the Emsisoft Emergency USB Stick files. Unzip the files to your memory stick and run a2free.exe

Let us know if this does not solve the problem. System restore will probably not help here.

P.S. which AV are you using?
  3. Auld-Yin

Cheers msr, I will give that a shot later tonight when I get back home (just going out). I am using AVG.

4. AVG has gone down in the last three months, had to go to norton 360 paid a massive whack for it. Hopefully MSR can sort you out.
  5. Auld-Yin

Thanks armadillo. This of course begs the question - what to replace AVG?
  6. Avast still seems good!
  7. I am sad to say Norton 360 premiere, its expensive but works. In the course of my job in the last 8 months I have had to look at loads of AV programs. AVG not supported, Mcafee massive security failure 2 months ago, Windows malware had a problem. Sophos not to bad. The best customer service I had was with Norton. A lot of money, however they are pretty good. Last malware to attack my computer killed my registry. Norton spent 8 hrs online (they paid for the call) fighting on my behalf and they won. Brilliant service.
  8. Auld-Yin

Do they do pensioner rebates? :bigsmurf:
  9. You are not that old mate, dont know to be honest, would give you my copy but they would track my licence.
  10. msr

msr LE

11. Nothing wrong with Security Essentials by Microsoft. It's free and uses very little of your system resources.
  12. I like bitdefender.
  13. I am using Norton 360 with a Multi User Licence and following the offer a free upgrade to a later version I had a problem with one of the downloads … their checking system indicated I had used my three downloads to three seperate family Laptops . Telephoned their Support number and problem resolved within hours with a follow up call from Norton to ensure everything OK … I was impressed with this level of service and telephone calls were free . I also run seperately Malwarebytes as recommended on ARRSE ... it is free and easily run / updated .
  14. msr

msr LE

Emsisoft Emergency USB stick files has taken the place of MB in my recommended list.

15. Thanks for that info .... I shall look at that option .