Virgin trains

I am on the train from Manchester to London and on seeing my forces railcard they put me in 1st class. This is the second time in 2 days this has happened on virgin trains!!

They do it on weekdays too. They really are that good. Obviously its all for PR but non the less its a good gesture from beardy's business.

Whats the diffrence between 1st & 2nd class ? Last time I travelled by train it was just a diffrent colour seat cover & a paper doiley on the headrest.

LT

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I just bough a computer made by Apple and Virgin. It is guaranteed not to go go down on me !! boom boom .

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Whats the diffrence between 1st & 2nd class ? Last time I travelled by train it was just a diffrent colour seat cover & a paper doiley on the headrest.

LT
Last time I went fisrt class on one of Beardie's trains, the seats were more comfortable, the carriages weren't as crowded, and you got "free" food and booze.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
FFS sake, you ungrateful cocks, the word is Ta, or Fanks , when you arrive in Larnden

I have been looking at getting a Forces Railcard. One of the conditions is you cannot use it from home to base? Have I understood this correctly? Would there be any dramas about using it for getting home and back on Fridays and Mondays?

Think you might get a cup of tea and no screaming kids
I use Virgin 1st class all the time as it's often cheaper than cattle class booked far enough in advance. You do get free food/drinks inc. beer as well as wider seats and free wi-fi. At the weekend they cut back on the free stuff as all of the proles do a cheap upgrade, but durign the week it's a very plesent expereince, and to be able to leave Preston and be at a meeting on the Euston Road in less than 2.5 hours knocks the socks off the old BR 4 hour plus jouney time it used to take.

I have been looking at getting a Forces Railcard. One of the conditions is you cannot use it from home to base? Have I understood this correctly? Would there be any dramas about using it for getting home and back on Fridays and Mondays?
It's a long time since I bothered with a railcard but when I had one I never had any dramas using it from home to duty.

A couple of British Rail ticket inspectors had a good moan at me when I was a young Rifleman on my way home from Bosnia because my ticket said 'at the cheapest time of day'. Looking back, I wish I hadn't apologised and been so respectful. Fuming now thinking about it.

Virgin on the other hand, got us all SKY TVto watch the World Cup France 1998.

Virgin win.

Whilst Virgin trains seem to be helpful and attentive in this situation, I somehow don't think that the cynical Scottish bastards on Scotrail trains will be as helpful. It's going to be a ****ing long train to Pirbright from Inverness. A long several trains inevitably.

C

cloudbuster

It's going to be a ****ing long train to Pirbright from Inverness. A long several trains inevitably.
Virgin run 4 or 5 car sets, while the ECML typically sees 7, 8 or even 9 carriages at times.

Long walk to the bar, unless you travel 1st. :)

Its Virgin company policy to upgrade forces personnel where possible. Its left to the discretion of the conductor.
The word "conductor" is SO last century. I thought Virgin calls them Train Manager now.

Virgin run 4 or 5 car sets, while the ECML typically sees 7, 8 or even 9 carriages at times.

Long walk to the bar, unless you travel 1st. :)
However, Virgin can and do double up 5-car sets making a ten-car train. Particularly on the west coast main line services.

You do know why they are called "Virgin" trains dont you?

They always pull out on time.