Virgin Mobile - More useless than the rest or do you know better?

Since the weekend I have been trying to find out some billing detail for my Virgin monthly service. The portal login option has been in a state, sometimes a link works but then I can't login anyway. I try to reset details but it tells me my security answer is wrong but it is most definitely not, I use one of those questions that has only one possible answer.

I then try to call but having tunnelled through many menu layers I get a message telling me that they are having problems, to try later, goodbye, and that is the end of the call. I have no independent check for my bills as they stopped sending them to me. This seems like I am trying to kick down a bank vault door while wearing flip-flops, no chance of getting through and all this time/effort is results in nothing but pain for me.

It occurred to me they are either leader of the pack of useless operators or is it they are all as bad? I would dearly love to find someone I can turn to who can offer me a value/cost effective service and not be invisible when I need them. So what is the view? Would i still find uselessness wherever I go or is there a saviour out there?

Cheers in advance.

Since the weekend I have been trying to find out some billing detail for my Virgin monthly service. The portal login option has been in a state, sometimes a link works but then I can't login anyway. I try to reset details but it tells me my security answer is wrong but it is most definitely not, I use one of those questions that has only one possible answer.

I then try to call but having tunnelled through many menu layers I get a message telling me that they are having problems, to try later, goodbye, and that is the end of the call. I have no independent check for my bills as they stopped sending them to me. This seems like I am trying to kick down a bank vault door while wearing flip-flops, no chance of getting through and all this time/effort is results in nothing but pain for me.

It occurred to me they are either leader of the pack of useless operators or is it they are all as bad? I would dearly love to find someone I can turn to who can offer me a value/cost effective service and not be invisible when I need them. So what is the view? Would i still find uselessness wherever I go or is there a saviour out there?

Cheers in advance.
They're mostly as bad as each other. BT definitely sucks.

Rather than keeping on trying to resolve the problem, go straight to making a complaint abouth the shit service, as that usually seems to promote a response.

I shall be following up with this in the morning, I need to get a good nights sleep ready for more hurdle jumping and another marathon with the Virgin menu system. Maybe they just make it so crap to try and grind down anyone calling for help into submission.

As virgin piggy back the EE network you could always switch to EE.
The coverage will be the same, but 4G can be a lot faster and you can have WiFi calling.
EE Customer service is better in my experience than Virgin.

I had a problem with Virgin media following a house move. The only service I was subscribing to when I moved was broadband (for a number of years, no issues), but following the move they suddenly started billing me for TV - TV Large I think it was called.

I made any number of calls to them but it went on erratically for a number of months to the point where I simply stopped my direct debit and thereafter paid cash at a pay point for precisely the monthly broadband charge. All good until they decided I had to pay a £5 premium for the privilege of paying cash.

The £5 never happened but eventually they called me to tell me that if I went back to direct debit all would be well but if I continued to pay cash without the £5.00 premium they would cut off both my broadband service and.... my telephone. All confirmed in writing thank you very much.

They never did tell me if BT (my land line phone provider at the time) minded Virgin Media cutting of BT telephone service customers.???? Right....

The dipsticks knew I had a broadband subscription and billed me for it. They thought I had TV subscription (never) and erratically billed and credited me for that and they obviously thought I had a telephone service subscription (never) that they didn't bill me for.

At the time and for many years (I was a very earlier adopter with Anglia Cable that became NTL that became Virgin Media) I thought cable broadband was the best ever but since moving to a non cabled area I have had a perfect FTTC broadband and a good land line service from EE with all inclusive calls to land lines and mobiles etc for less than I was paying Virgin Media for broadband only.

Would I go back to Virgin Media? Never. They are now in the same list of robbing poor customer service providers as Sky.

Nothing to do with Virgin Mobile but I felt like writing an essay and Virgin Media are perhaps the Carlsberg of piss poor customer service.

Last edited:
I had a problem with Virgin media following a house move. The only service I was subscribing to when I moved was broadband (for a number of years, no issues), but following the move they suddenly started billing me for TV - TV Large I think it was called.

I made any number of calls to them but it went on erratically for a number of months to the point where I simply stopped my direct debit and thereafter paid cash at a pay point for precisely the monthly broadband charge. All good until they decided I had to pay a £5 premium for the privilege of paying cash.

The £5 never happened but eventually they called me to tell me that if I went back to direct debit all would be well but if I continued to pay cash without the £5.00 premium they would cut off both my broadband service and.... my telephone. All confirmed in writing thank you very much.

They never did tell me if BT (my land line phone provider at the time) minded Virgin Media cutting of BT telephone service customers.???? Right....

The dipsticks knew I had a broadband subscription and billed me for it. They thought I had TV subscription (never) and erratically billed and credited me for that and they obviously thought I had a telephone service subscription (never) that they didn't bill me for.

At the time and for many years (I was a very earlier adopter with Anglia Cable that became NTL that became Virgin Media) I thought cable broadband was the best ever but since moving to a non cabled area I have had a perfect FTTC broadband and a good land line service from EE with all inclusive calls to land lines and mobiles etc for less than I was paying Virgin Media for broadband only.

Would I go back to Virgin Media? Never. They are now in the same list of robbing poor customer service providers as Sky.

Nothing to do with Virgin Mobile but I felt like writing an essay and Virgin Media are perhaps the Carlsberg of piss poor customer service.
It's good you mentioned this as a short while ago my broadband plus phone has gone up to £40 a month (no drop in price for cutting out the phone with this package either, the price remains the same) and I resolved to check out other providers.

Does this sound like an overpriced product then? Provisioning is 100mbps and whenever I check I get very close to that and at present is quite reliable.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I shall be following up with this in the morning, I need to get a good nights sleep ready for more hurdle jumping and another marathon with the Virgin menu system. Maybe they just make it so crap to try and grind down anyone calling for help into submission.

Yes. Just this. I've gone through similar shit with them in the past, and am currently going through similar shit with a few other bodies.

I'd love to just say to them **** OFF!! If only I could make contact with anyone to say it to...

I don't get the same speed as you with my EE package (probably around half) but that said, whatever package it is that I have, it is perfectly adequate for Amazon Prime TV, Amazon Music, Netflix etc and I remotely manage the connected elements of my home (Hive and Phillips Hue with it. I pay around £30 per month all in.

If you need the higher speed then £40 probably isn't bad but there is likely to to be higher for less or relatively less if speed is the measure - for instance, EE do, I believe, a 350mbs package for £50 pcm. Isn't it nearly always the case though that the host servers are the bottlenecks that generate internet rage :eek:

It really is something to shop around for though. As I say, I always thought cable was far and away the best but I have not been disappointed with FTTC at all and I have not had to call my service provider once.

They called me when my 18 month introductory offer neared it end and promptly gave me the very same deal minus £2 for another 18 months.

After that I will look around and if I am still happy with EE, try to get them to match the best deal or disproportionately increase my package value against any price increase.

When I get frustrated by stuff like this I turn to the website below and contact the head shed, on more than one occasion the result has been positive. One time my other half received a huge hamper full of goodies, an apology and a full refund(plus a bit extra) from the Royal Bank of Scotland. Another, a full refund of an unwarranted charge + a months contract fee all because of what a bellend in an indian call centre told me, that was TalkTalk.
In this case I would be tempted to add Branson as a cc.
https://ceoemail.com/

Last edited:
Whatever network you choose it does really help if they have a shop nearby, somewhere you can actually go and speak to a human being and get any troubles sorted out.