Virgin Media down

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by carlbcfc, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone having a problem with VM tonight? Our net and TV service has been down since 5pm, and they are "too busy" to answer the phone.

This is an illigal post as robbing someone bandwith to send this.
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Fine here. TV, broadband and phone. Have you called 150? They generally have a recorded message telling you which postcodes are affected.
  3. All well and good here up in Scotland.

The website had a message that TV in wolverhampton area is affected, engieers are aware and working to resolve blah blah
  4. Yup...Broadband ok....TV service dead as a dodo...Midlands Area
  5. Ours was fecked last night, seemed to be linked to the digital switchover in the NW, as it was all back to normal first thing this morning.
  6. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Its alright down south here
  7. The numbers says "busy" then cuts you off. Ive found nothing on the service status page. Midlands too.
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Bizarre. I'm in Scotland and have full service but just tried 150 to see if I could get a status update and got 'unusually busy, you may prefer to call later'

Fairly widespread then, I assume.
  9. The dwarf up in teeside said his was down. OK in Humber area.
  10. Services went down at about 17:45 this evening and came up again around an hour ago - there was a national outage (affecting all but a few areas)

The reason why you couldn't call in to find out what was happening, was all systems within the company were affected too.

Before I left work this evening the estimated fix time was 06:00 tomorrow,.... I guess the network engineers got their pretty little arrses into gear and found a fix in double time!

I'm led to believe that Freeview have just gone through the nagra 3 update today and lost their dtv service too?!?!

Fingers crossed for the rest of the evening :)
  11. If you live in the following areas

are using the Virgin Media National Broadband service (i.e via telephone lines, not cable) and your Internet access keeps slowing to a crawl, here is what could be causing it:

"Our Traffic Management policy makes sure our service is fair for everybody, by occasionally moderating speeds for the top 5% of customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually large amount of data."

Virgin Media Traffic Management Trial

Unfortunately does not take a great deal of Streamimg, BBC iPlayer etc use to clock up what they consider "an unusually large amount of data" if you have multiple computer users in the household.
  12. You aren't having much success with the technology are you?

The Gods might be trying to tell you something!!!

13. msr

msr LE

They already have :
  14. We are back up and running on VM, we switched to BT when it was down. Called VM and they say it was unscheduled maintainance - is that VM for fecked and needs fixing? outage was in mid hertfordshire from 1956 to 2322 hrs.
  15. In addition I hear a number of people in the West Midlands area have had long-term problems with VM internet...sounds like a pretty serious fault.