Virgin London Marathon 2018

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From what I have seen elsewhere, the rejection magazines have started to drop on to doorsteps across the country.

I have applied again this year, if I get accepted, I am hoping to stay injury free and get the sub 4 I know I can run (if I trained correctly I could probably get a sub 3).

So who else has applied for the VLM 2018, did you bequeath your fee for a snazzy gift and if you get the good news, what is your target time?

Good luck with your endeavors. London was never factored to be an opportunity for a 'timed' run, unless you're a member of an elite or at best a top club runner member.
Too much 'traffic'.

If your heart is where how fast you can cover the 26.3miles try a rural option. There's a myriad of lesser well televised options which will test your ability, well, allowing for course incline and the proverbial seasonal conditions.
I recognise that London is your usual beat. Anything I can assist with on the logistical front as I'm still in the Greenwich zone, let me know.
More especially, good luck.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have moved more into trail and completed my first Ultra this year (which means I have ran marathon+ distance about half a dozen times this year). I entered the London, purely for nostalgic reasons (and the fact my wife and Mum both entered). When I ran in 2012 I was in Pen 3. Injury stopped me from completing in 3.5 hours.

Logistically, it shouldn't be too difficult. UJC night before, tube across town in the morning followed by a gentle jog around the tourist hotspots.

Entered the ballot for the 13th time so not holding my breath.

Did get lucky in 2009 when I picked up a golden bond to run for Combat Stress. Great memories of that one, picked up a PB, it was for my 50th birthday, my Mum came down from Scotland and I stopped to speak to her, also stopped to speak to @Goatman , @Alec_Lomas provided cranberry juice at the finish line which went down a treat, and my brother took the family to The Ivy to celebrate.

@terroratthepicnic you have been doing some amazing runs this year, fingers crossed you get in for next year. If I don't get a place I'm hoping to volunteer.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be fair, the VLM would just be a training run. I have a few trail marathons in mind (heartbreaker and Hampshire hoppit) with a view of completing the Jersey Ultra again. I have also seen a couple of other ultras on the south downs that look interesting.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good luck everyone waiting for news...mate of mine has put in for it yet again.

In 2009,I stood at the 20 mile point dressed in a Combat Stress tee shirt handing out jelly babies for three hours - and for most people running 26 miles is a bit more than a training run.

( I ran the Flora London Marathon in 2000 and 2002 :-D )

Didn't put in for the ballot this year - had that consolation prize magazine too many times :)

Last edited:
Stockings again? ;-)

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well I didn't get in. However the jacket you get is really nice, by far the best kit from VLM I have ever received. Just waiting to see if the wife has got in or not.

Edit: she got the loser email today. Still waiting for her loser jacket though.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
bah......bloody charidees pre-empting all the places.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have always relied on getting to run for a charity, I managed 11 consecutive London marathons doing that, the smaller charities give you a place for just over a £1000 which is not too difficult to collect, though sometimes collecting it from family is harder than the race itself! The secret is to get onto the charities and get your name on their list about September time year previous and speak personally with the person responsible for allocation of places.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well blimey. I've only gone and won a golden bond place. Better start training. Gulp.
Looks like I'll be taking a couple of days off now, 22nd for the marathon and 23rd as it's St Georges Day!