Virgin London Marathon 2012 - Arrse Runners

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
As the 2011 thread is looking a bit dusty I thought I'd open a new one for the London marathon in 2012......what a year to do it!

dear Mods, plse transfer posts relating to the 2012 race in here...tidy, see ?

You jammy bar stewards with places.....if I can't run I damn well WILL be there cheering myself horse.....haws.....whor.......till my throat hurts.......

I've already signed up for Paris as I'm sure yet again my name won't be picked out the hat ... and if it is then I will defer to 2013. Will I still be alive then?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've already signed up for Paris as I'm sure yet again my name won't be picked out the hat ... and if it is then I will defer to 2013. Will I still be alive then?
Hope so....you owe me a Guinness ! ;-)

elovabloke

ADC
Just seen on a RunnersWorld thread that some people have been getting the packs through the post today...
Third time unlucky for the Kirtchen Gestapo, rejection arrived today. I told her to go for Dublin so could enjoy my self for a few hours, but did she listen.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Coo, I'd forgotten Venezia.....when ? Justgiving ?

I've thought about doing a full marathon for a couple of years, but with my rather haphazard training it may be not be a very good idea! If I manage to stick to a proper training schedule, I think I'll go for the North Sea Beach Marathon, or perhaps the Copenhagen Marathon. Both of these may be good alternatives for those of you who can't get a place for London.....

I've run the half distance a few times at the Beach Marathon, it's an enjoyable and very different race. Highly recommended!

beachmarathon.dk

Coo, I'd forgotten Venezia.....when ? Justgiving ?
Oct 23, and it's just a fun run. Cough. If I fall in the water I get rescued by a dog ...

CANINE UNIT FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR MARATHONERS!

Novelty of this year: canine unit every 500 meters + water motorbike!
The Italian School of Water Rescue Dogs (S.I.C.S.) will be part of the 26th Venicemarathon staff to improve the safety of the participants along the Venetian race course with 2 canine units every 500 meters. The Venetian course will be safer this year as a life raft will be used as water-ambulance and 4 water motorbikes will be in connection via radio with the canine unites spread along the course and ready to act in case of need.
The S.I.C.S. is the largest National organization dedicated to the training of dogs and their handlers for water rescue. It was founded in Milan in 1988 and the Venice section is the reference for Veneto and Emilia Romagna. They offer volounteer service in addition to the traditional rescue service. Since three years ago they have been in service in Caorle and Porto Santa Margherita and they rescued 6 peoples (5 last year and 1 last 27th August).
Venice wants to show once again the union between the land and the sea!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hee hee....you'll notice nobody can follow that ! Dog cool, gash helo :)

on another tack, I have 9 days to get back into 'I can run....see Jip Run......' mode......my very first Royal Parks Half Marathon on 9 Oct....this may be a challenge too far ....

Dear Entrant,
We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2012 Virgin London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription.
However, if you still wish to run please click on the link below where there is a list of tour operators in your country who may be able to help you enter the 2012 Virgin London Marathon.
http://static.realbuzz.com/vlm/downloads/pdf/2012_tour_operators.pdf
Yours Sincerely
David Bedford
Race Director
Well no surprises there.

Last LSR knocked out on Sunday, a very hot 20 miler with lots of hills .... getting stuck into the carb loading now :)

CANINE UNIT FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR MARATHONERS!

Novelty of this year: canine unit every 500 meters + water motorbike!
The Italian School of Water Rescue Dogs (S.I.C.S.) will be part of the 26th Venicemarathon staff to improve the safety of the participants along the Venetian race course with 2 canine units every 500 meters. The Venetian course will be safer this year as a life raft will be used as water-ambulance and 4 water motorbikes will be in connection via radio with the canine unites spread along the course and ready to act in case of need.
The S.I.C.S. is the largest National organization dedicated to the training of dogs and their handlers for water rescue. It was founded in Milan in 1988 and the Venice section is the reference for Veneto and Emilia Romagna. They offer volounteer service in addition to the traditional rescue service. Since three years ago they have been in service in Caorle and Porto Santa Margherita and they rescued 6 peoples (5 last year and 1 last 27th August).
Venice wants to show once again the union between the land and the sea!
Does that mean that anyone can turn up and throw their dog in to have a crack at rescuing you?

Just entered the ballot for my club place. Fingers crossed.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Goatman - Good luck at Royal Parks HM, is it a busy one? I need to get my act together and do a HM to sort my PB out.
Yes its a busy Half...and I was chuffed to get in to register about 4 months ago....and yesterday I pulled a muscle in my back and running 13 miles on Sunday is looking more than a little dodgy (whinge, whine,wimp....)....given the number of runners, probably not a good one for a PB.....need a flat out and back in East Anglia ! Or indeed the Gosport Half......not too many hills by the seaside hereabouts......

FMP - met a Scottish lady yesterday who lives in Venezia ( we were queuing for a plane to get us both OUT of Naples , a city on which she had strong opinions) - and I told her to look out for a smallish,blondish ferociously determined Scot in an Irn Bru singlet haring around her adopted hometown shortly ....... she's about your height, same haircut but about three times your circumference :)...so if you get a loud shout in broad Scots from the waterside that's why... Good luck for Sunday October 23rdanyway :thumright:
Course overview Start is located in Stra (a small country town about 25 km west of Venice), at the beginning of Riviera del Brenta, the beautiful riverside area where rich and noble Venetians built their vacation mansions in the 18th century.

The finish is in the historic centre of Venice, on the embankment named Riva Sette Martiri, in a scenic position facing the lagoon.

The first part of the route, along the Riviera del Brenta, lays in an environment rich with history, culture and beatiful landscapes, characterized by the numerous Venetian villas facing on the waters of the river.

The marathon goes through the centre of Marghera and Mestre, then runs for more than 2 kilometers inside San Giulianos Park and gets to Venice via the Liberty Bridge (a flat and straight bridge long just a little less than 4 kilometers).

The race proceeds in Venice's renovated port area and reaches the city centre for the last kilometers, which are simply unique and unforgettable. Marathoners run next to the Giudecca Canal to Punta della Dogana, where they cross the Grand Canal on a pontoon bridge, especially built for the race.

Passing by Piazza San Marco and the Palazzo Ducale, the marathon route gets to the finish line located in Riva Sette Martiri.

Passing through Piazza San Marco (high tide allowing...), near the Belltower and the Palazzo Ducale, the marathon route reaches the finish line located in Riva Sette Martiri

Anyone else got their confirmation/bad luck notice from VLM yet ?

Yes its a busy Half...and I was chuffed to get in to register about 4 months ago....and yesterday I pulled a muscle in my back and running 13 miles on Sunday is looking more than a little dodgy (whinge, whine,wimp....)....given the number of runners, probably not a good one for a PB.....need a flat out and back in East Anglia ! Or indeed the Gosport Half......not too many hills by the seaside hereabouts......
Hopefully you are good to go for the weekend... I entered Gosport half yesterday. Ideally I want to put a HM PB in before the end of the year and Gosport is a fast course, I think the only uphill is a small slope off of the seafront.

Does that mean that anyone can turn up and throw their dog in to have a crack at rescuing you?
I'd rather be rescued by a hunky handler ....

Goats, good luck on Sunday. You'll be fine, it's only half of what you are used to!

I'll look out for your Scottish friend. There are 3 of us elderly Scots ladies running it. It's all about the post race red wine and ice cream :)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
ha!.....'Elderly' my hairy arrse - you forget, Madam, I've seen you run....into the far distance and at some speed IIRC :) Suspect I am about to wimp out of the Royal Parks Half which is a shame and the rules won't let me gift my entry to AN Other or indeed defer till next year....see how we go today....no point rocking up to only run the first mile and hobble into the trees :-(

elovabloke

ADC
Anyone know what the Brighton Marathon is like. Any info appreciated as the Kitchen Gestapo is making me hang around street corners whilst she does that one.

Not done the marathon there, I know there will be plenty of pubs within easy reach as the route starts in Preston Park which is a little in from the sea front but then goes pretty much back and forth along the seafront from there so could potentially see your runner 3 times without moving very far at all... 18000 entries and it finishes on Madeira Drive right by the pier. There are places to get food and drink down there too but will most likely be rammed on race day. Close enough for a hobble down into the sea for a giant ice bath to sort out the sore legs!

Map of the route here : http://brightonmarathon.co.uk/images/course diagram.pdf