Virgin London Marathon 2011 - The Arrse contingent

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goatman, Sep 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well, I'm guessing a few folk on here are waiting for some news and a few lucky ones have already got a place?

I ran the New Forest Half yesterday in a vain attempt to keep my legs working.... at Mile 10 I was vividly reminded that if I get my wish, that gets me as far as Tower Bridge...... still keen to get a place though !

This is the fourth time I've applied under the ballot - won't bother again. To all you out there waiting to hear - good luck !

Lee Shaver

2. Not for me next year....I've got my 50 miler to contend with!

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Fancy the Marathon Des Sables then J-D ? Or have you got the T-shirt :)

My next jog around the block is the BUPA Great South ( for SSAFA) at the end of the month....dear God plse let it not be doing what it is today on the South Coast Riviera !
    Uprep:
    Mate of mine both gutted (and secretly) a little relieved to receive her 'Sorry- better luck next time' notification for both herself and her daughter this week......still waiting for news myself.

FMP, anything ?

Paris AGAIN then ? :)

Arrsers - If and when you get YOUR notification do let us know here.

Training tips, injury woes, work up races, running mojo regain - all in here!

Le Chevre

4. I keep eyeing that one up but the cost puts me off to be honest (and the waiting list).
    This'll be my first venture into the world of Ultra so I'll be taking it nice and steady! Just been given the checkpoints for the route so I had a shufty on the map and my knees went into an involuntary wobble!

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well good luck anyway.

I'm 'off the hook ' for next year's VLM - dammit, buggrem,ah shooot . Got my " COMMISERATIONS - but hey there are a million charidees out there who'd be only too happy for you to annoy everyone in your life trying to raise three grand " letter today......PAH! :roll:

Ah well......we'll see how we go.

To those of you who have had the OTHER letter/magazine in the post - well done ya bugger ! - this is the start of an Awfully Big Adventure......

6. Some lucky arrser will be running it .......... but it's not me. Guess it will have to be Paris again ........

Dead chuffed for you, you know who you are!

7. I am not doing it next year, achilles heel is still not 100% after doing a 10k 2 weeks after London this year. I hobbled over the line with my plan of a sub 40min 10 k wrecked.

I have plans to do a dawn til dusk event on 27 Dec, but that can be a slow plod rather than a full blown run.
    Any nutters planning on doing the west highland way race, or for the insane there is an 80k race in France that finishes on the first level of the Eiffel tower.

Eco-Trail de Paris - Le Trail de Paris

For me it's time to get back on my mountain bike or concentrate on 10K races. I will have my weekend back.

Good luck to all those who do London.

RP

8. Well David Bedford very kindly emailed me to say sorry but no place in the overseas ballot for you ......... again.

I'll always have Paris ......... so just signed up. Places are going fast, already 22,200 taken. At least I won't have accom/travel costs. Oh and Goats, post run lunch in the Brasserie already planned! Surely that will convince you ;-))

9. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I had my confirmation letter/mag through the post last week, only took 5 years as well. Training starts as soon as I stop smoking.

As part of my training, I will be running the GRIM challenge in Dec.
    I will be trying to raise a bit of cash for Hols4H in both runs.

Edited to add: I am think of starting a blogg on my training. Should be a good place for tips and hints, and a right slagging if I can't hit my targets on time.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

What no more VLM virgins crawled out of the woodwork?

Don't be bashful people - who's got a place ?

Or does my paranoid view that they have actually kept an even higher proportion of the ballot places for charities really hold water ?

If you are involved in the TNT baggage op - hats off, maximum respect.

Goats

11. I'm in!

Fifth time lucky with a ballot entry, although the buggers claimed I had only three previous negative ballot entries, not four. Funny that, because whilst I did run it in 2007 that was courtesy of a Golden Bond place from Combat Stress AFTER receiving a negative ballot. However, trivia aside, I'm conscious of the fact that last time was an adventure, this time I'm only too aware of every agonising step and mental turmoil to come. Supporters (could well end up being literal), banner wavers, hecklers and abusers very welcome.

FMoP and Goaty, sorry you won't be joining me this year and that I won't be joining you (again) in Paris. I should, however, be doing my local Half about three weeks prior to London, if either of you fancy joining me?

Terroratthepicnic - I'm also signed into the Grim in December! Which day are you doing it?

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

yaaaay! well done Dolls.....now DO what the doc tells ye - not what you want to , for once in your life! You know it makes sense.

You can think of me this weekend slappin the pavement through the rain in the Great South Run.

Ahem....Care to break my cherry Miss ? ;-) ( be the first to whack some wedge on my spons page that is !)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/sports-adventure-training-events/151066-great-south-run-2010-a.html#post3466257

good luck with the training ya mad wee pocket rocket.

PM me a snail mail and I'll pop 'the kneecare Handbook' in the post.

Anyone else got an entry this year ?

Le Chevre

13. How do you apply for the ballot these days, is it still a postal ballot ?

14. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Sunday, it should be a laugh.

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

for those who don't get the personalised letter from Dave ' prawn curry the night before' Bedford - here y'go: