Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virgin Atlantic Files for Bankruptcy

The court of public opinion does not support Virgin Atlantic receiving a U.K. government loan if Virgin, like its founder Sir Richard Branson, does not pay U.K. taxes. ... He said Branson is “sitting in the Virgin Islands as a tax exile.” Branson rejects claims he moved to the British Virgin Islands for tax reasons.

See @ Does Virgin Atlantic Pay U.K. Tax? Yes, No And That’s Besides The Point.
Virgin Group pays UK taxes. It’s tax policy is transparent and available to all, despite the fact that it is a private company and has no obligation to publish its policies. The fact that it has a dedicate HMRC client relationship manager places it amongst the biggest contributors. They pay their taxes

The government has lent to (amongst others), Chanel, BASF and Whizz Air plus several venture capital and private equity businesses. I posted the list on the BA thread.

But, hey, you don’t like Branson.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Excellent, really pleased about that. Losing your earnings is one thing, losing your retirement quite another.

A few of my VS acquaintances view the whole thing as a big advertising hoarding, all pizzazz facing the public, held together with chewing gum and string behind it.

Perfectly put.

My missus has just had her EasyJet flight next month from Paris to Copenhagen cancelled completely, they are now flying only two days a week on that route for the foreseeable.
Air France still manages four scheduled flights a day on that route every day of the week, dunno for how much longer though.
Ryanair has scaled right back on flights originating in France, so much so that many previously busy routes are not showing up as bookable for the rest of this year and into next year.
And local news is that SNCF are scaling up on the overnight and sleeper services, a very good idea as long as you live near a major city to connect.
It is going to be interesting to see who is still flying this time next year I think.

Perfectly put.

To be fair, we often position with VS and they clock crew straight away, cabin and flight bags being a big giveaway, and I’ve always been treated like royalty. BA tend to be a bit arsey unless you get one of the Old ‘n’ Bold Cabin Managers in which case the Captain usually gets upgraded.

Emirates are shocking, they skip you when doing the meal service and then give you whatever is left, usually some gopping south Asian fish stew or similar. Challenge it and some Amazonian Russian is summonsed and explains that fare paying passengers come first, neatly ignoring the fact that my employer has paid for a ticket. This came to a head one day when I was ticketed Business and downgraded whilst actually sat down to make way for a frequent flyer who’d missed the previous flight. I explained that this was no problem, I’d get off and catch the next flight but could they ring my boss and explain why I’d be 24 hours late oh, and here are my bag tags, get searching.

I‘d love to say they backed off but no. The flight was full so I ended up having to bump two of my crew (we never leave one, especially in the shit hole that is Dubai) and spent 9 hours being completely ignored by their crew who refused to serve me although the Brit Captain did at least pop down and apologise but explained that forcing the issue with the crew was an unhealthy career move for him.

We no longer use Emirates.

Virgin Group pays UK taxes. It’s tax policy is transparent and available to all, despite the fact that it is a private company and has no obligation to publish its policies. The fact that it has a dedicate HMRC client relationship manager places it amongst the biggest contributors. They pay their taxes

The government has lent to (amongst others), Chanel, BASF and Whizz Air plus several venture capital and private equity businesses. I posted the list on the BA thread.

Do you have link to just how much Virgin Group pays in taxes? Few, if any of his companies seem to make money long term.
And once again you keep going on about them having a HMRC manager. Where does it say anywhere that they are provided for the biggest tax payers?

oldbaldy

LE

We need Wizz Air to start deporting ne'er do Wells starting 1st Jan 2021
VA have a habit of not paying any tax

Last edited:

endure

GCM
We need those to start deporting ne'er do Wells starting 1st Jan 2021

Why do we need a French perfume maker, a German chemical and pharma maker and a Hungarian airline to deport ne'er do wells?

Why do we need a French perfume maker, a German chemical and pharma maker and a Hungarian airline to deport ne'er do wells?
If you don't know, you don't need to know.....

They said that when supermarkets starting taking all the jobs from small shops and garages.
Unless you are intending on stuffing your cash under the mattress you will spend it elsewhere.
My local Indian corner shop has been coining it since the virus hit, they're even selling Indian stuff again, as well as the Polish/Bulgarian. It'll be chicken tikka pierogi next.

Lockdown? Zoom shirt? Ooh, get Beau Brummel.

I'm typing this naked.
Another one for the list of things you can't unsee on arrse....

I've just had an interview for my own job, I put a shirt and trousers on...it felt weird....

It’s debatable whether any airline will actually stay afloat. BAs big competitors have all received massive state bailouts.

I take the view that a healthy domestic airline business is a strategic asset for an island nation that trades globally. If BA and Virgin go, those stepping in to the gap won’t be British.

I struggle to see why Britain’s Indian owned steel industry is a strategic asset when it makes a small percentage of UK demand for a commoditised product yet the long haul airline business is not. Or why restaurants are being subsidised
The vultures will be around should they go under, different business of course but....

Virgin back in business to take fight to Qantas

I don't know what a bailout will accomplish - people aren't flying, there's massive over-capacity because of that; is Virgin a strategic national asset? Or, when Covid subsides, will new players start from scratch?

Off topic a bit but today I had to travel from South Wales to Essex. I did the journey on train, with a swing through London at midday. I was taken aback - there were so few passengers on all the trains I took, the railways must be countless millions in debt. Put another way, a ten carriage train with four persons per carriage = disaster for thr TOC.
And London - well, Jesus, it was (compared to a pre-Covid weekday) deserted. The City was like a Sunday. Empty offices, closed businesses. I knew it was bad but seeing it was a genuine shock/sadness. The economy is tanking - the only mitigation is that so is that of most over states.

Try Lisbon and Rome airports , flew back on Friday. 14:00 all the shops in Lisbon airport closed , even the food shops. Plane , TAP nearly empty. Rome the same, Went to the Rome main station ,termini, today empty and most shops closed. Just waiting for next week , going to work in Germany for two weeks, wonder . 1. Will it be open? 2. Will I get in?

I think the economic impact is going to be much greater than advertised by the politicians.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
To be fair, we often position with VS and they clock crew straight away, cabin and flight bags being a big giveaway, and I’ve always been treated like royalty. BA tend to be a bit arsey unless you get one of the Old ‘n’ Bold Cabin Managers in which case the Captain usually gets upgraded.

Emirates are shocking, they skip you when doing the meal service and then give you whatever is left, usually some gopping south Asian fish stew or similar. Challenge it and some Amazonian Russian is summonsed and explains that fare paying passengers come first, neatly ignoring the fact that my employer has paid for a ticket. This came to a head one day when I was ticketed Business and downgraded whilst actually sat down to make way for a frequent flyer who’d missed the previous flight. I explained that this was no problem, I’d get off and catch the next flight but could they ring my boss and explain why I’d be 24 hours late oh, and here are my bag tags, get searching.

I‘d love to say they backed off but no. The flight was full so I ended up having to bump two of my crew (we never leave one, especially in the shit hole that is Dubai) and spent 9 hours being completely ignored by their crew who refused to serve me although the Brit Captain did at least pop down and apologise but explained that forcing the issue with the crew was an unhealthy career move for him.

We no longer use Emirates.

Part of my role was to setup the tech for new routes in-country so I spent a fair amount of time on other carriers prior to VS flight ops starting. Being the aviation nut that I was, once the in the cruise, I'd often seek out the CSM, flash ID and ask if I could visit do some bezzering with the flight deck and hopefully catch the landing. In the mid-90's when I started, I'd get roughly a 70% success rate and had some fabulous flights (and some fabulous nights!) on BA, CX, QF and indeed EK (at that time), to name but a few.

The general hit rate remained pretty good until, of course, 9/11 put an end to any flight deck bezzering shenanigans.

Post-9/11, I quickly stopped showing ID on any carrier unless I had to (ID90/0 ticketing) as I started to receive the same treatment as you @Toastie. My take, and that of colleagues, was that it was the general downturn in the industry and an associated ''circle the wagons'' mentality where any other carrier, particularly one with an image such as VS, was seen as ''the enemy'' and were to be treated as such. More than once, I tried to have a ''we're all in this together'' conversation (indeed, once on an EK flight LHR - DXB) but it just fell on deaf ears. You know what Galley FM is like, it's not just the news, it's the culture...

Try Lisbon and Rome airports , flew back on Friday. 14:00 all the shops in Lisbon airport closed , even the food shops. Plane , TAP nearly empty. Rome the same, Went to the Rome main station ,termini, today empty and most shops closed. Just waiting for next week , going to work in Germany for two weeks, wonder . 1. Will it be open? 2. Will I get in?

I think the economic impact is going to be much greater than advertised by the politicians.
I agree. The evidence of one's eyes is sufficient to counter the political narrative.
I get however why politicians are trying to project positive messages.

Part of my role was to setup the tech for new routes in-country so I spent a fair amount of time on other carriers prior to VS flight ops starting. Being the aviation nut that I was, once the in the cruise, I'd often seek out the CSM, flash ID and ask if I could visit do some bezzering with the flight deck and hopefully catch the landing. In the mid-90's when I started, I'd get roughly a 70% success rate and had some fabulous flights (and some fabulous nights!) on BA, CX, QF and indeed EK (at that time), to name but a few.

Sgt Coombes walt

Forbes did a piece on VA taxes back in April:

Thats the same link from post 118, it only covers Virgin Atlantic and says it generally does pay corporation tax.

Branson seems to make his money flogging shares in his companies rather than direct profit taking.

The vultures will be around should they go under, different business of course but....

Virgin back in business to take fight to Qantas
Very different businesses. Virgin Atlantic is an operating division of Virgin Holdings. Virgin Australia is a brand licence.

Also very different business models; Virgin Australia is a domestic carrier with the odd short haul international route. Captive market, dominated by Qantas / JetStar (the latter being Qantas’ budget brand).

Without Virgin, there is no choice for Australian domestic travel. And the only sensible way to get between Australian cities is to fly.

We need Wizz Air to start deporting ne'er do Wells starting 1st Jan 2021
VA don’t pay tax because they don’t make much profit. CT is paid on profits, not turnover. Virgin Holdings, their parents company, pays a lot of British tax. That’s why they have a dedicated HMRC relationship manager.