'Violence risk' after military tours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by putteesinmyhands, Mar 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - 'Violence risk' after military tours

Is this how selection works or, indeed, how the Army is perceived?
  2. whats scary is that a lot of those people wont even be allowed there pension since criminal conviction negates your entry to the pension scheme..........perhps a bonus for the administration if they in the future choose to impliment the rule (i know they generally ignore it when granting pensions through spva)

its not exactly news though, people in high pressure jobs need to let off steam and when drunk often do stupid things, especially as most of what there talking about is having a punchup, and i seem ot remeber that being an average friday night in town.... particulaly when some throbber realises your in the forces and starts chanting baby killers or decided ot see how "hard" they are....
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I was a chess-playing choirboy who joined the Infantry. Still punched a couple of people who annoyed me after Bosnia, though.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. From all the press coverage recently I believe the Pope also wears a peculiar hat!
  5. I was pretty angry after Bosnia, took a while to get it out of my system, luckily I didn't go round punching people though a gate got a good shoeing once! Damm it for being shut!
  6. could you provide a link/source for that? no offence, but i can hardly believe that :/
  7. The army does not select people from difficult or aggressive backgrounds, it selects people based upon ability, qualifications and potential. An idiotic comment from the Professor.
    • Like Like x 10
  8. "The military don't select chess-playing choir boys. They select people who often come from difficult and aggressive backgrounds and they're the ones who are most likely to end up in the parts of the military that do the actual fighting."

My perception of this is that the Prof is NOT saying that selection is based on this criteria. he appears to me to be saying that people from this sort of background do tend to join the Armed forces, perhaps to get away from social deprevations, but do usually end up in teeth arms.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. And that's certainly my experience from speaking to the soldiers that came to us on Herrick. Not all, by any stretch of the imagination, but a significant proportion.
  10. Absolutely true. However, in any combat arms unit, you will find a higher proportion of men who have had previous for violent behaviour of some sort.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. For the prosecution I give you the right honourable Major Joyce!

All joking aside is there not a quote describing soldiers along the lines of 'people sleep peacefully as violent men are ready to visit violence on their behalf'. Perhaps from Orwell and used by Churchill?
  12. ....and I have it on very good authority that bears do indeed shit in the woods!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

What is interesting is the finding that they are less likely to commit crime than similar civvies (self-discipline perhaps), but when they do it is much more likely to be violent (when the self-discipline fails).

No-one in the military can be surprised that young men in the teeth arms are likely to get into a scrap, especially if there's PTSD and a bit of beer in the stew.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Sarah Montague was trying to milk the shock/horror aspect and said at one point 'so you train soldiers to kill?'

Gosh, isn't reality different from ruling the world in a studio at broadcasting house.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Big news. Academic at odds with real world. Members of the Armed Forces are less likely than Civilians to be prone to be both criminals or more importantly engage in criminal violence. It's just that Chippy Labour MP ex Major that's dragging the average up.

Academia fears squaddies with their potty mouths and willingness to do things rather than talk about doing things. So they are of course going to come out with trite, knee jerk and inaccurate conclusions regarding our psychological make up.
    • Like Like x 2