Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Violence in the foyer.

Talking of racism, I've spent the afternoon hearing radio station callers saying the Vue cinema chain is racist as it won't continue screening this film.

Later in the afternoon Vue released a statement saying they had at least 25 separate incidents during 16 screenings on the first day of release. That's a far differently proposition than one incident at one screening.

Radio 5 has a chap on about twenty minutes ago who is the chairperson of a charity representing black youth.

He was asked why he though kids were kicking off at screenings and his reply was brilliant and honest, he said: stupidity and ignorance.
He went further than that when he said that it was a shame when members of his community were spoiling the artistic efforts of another member of that same community.

Slime

LE
He went further than that when he said that it was a shame when members of his community were spoiling the artistic efforts of another member of that same community.

Yes, sorry I was too lazy to type more. Thanks for adding the extra. :)
To me he sounded like a level headed, straight talking kind of chap.
A real breath of fresh air after other callers I heard today who wanted to blame just about everyone except those who had caused the trouble.

Edit.
I think what we need are more examples showing gang rivalry or racism is wrong, but there are so many snowflakes who want everything bland, so can’t see that provocative or imaginative shows/films can do a lot of good.

I often like to mention the tv show ‘Love thy neighbour’ but too many people think it was a show full of racism, and cant get past that, so can’t see that while it did have racism it was so that the racism could be laughed at or shown to be stupid.

Yes, sorry I was too lazy to type more. Thanks for adding the extra. :)
To me he sounded like a level headed, straight talking kind of chap.
A real breath of fresh air after other callers I heard today who wanted to blame just about everyone except those who had caused the trouble.

Edit.
I think what we need are more examples showing gang rivalry or racism is wrong, but there are so many snowflakes who want everything bland, so can’t see that provocative or imaginative shows/films can do a lot of good.

I often like to mention the tv show ‘Love thy neighbour’ but too many people think it was a show full of racism, and cant get past that, so can’t see that while it did have racism it was so that the racism could be laughed at or shown to be stupid.
Didn't the Black family's Dad more often than not get one over on the White Familys Dad.

In fact honkey was portrayed as a bellend to anyone with more than a brain stem. A bit like the dynamic used for All Garnett, he was their to take the p!ss out of racists by showing their stupidity.

Slime

LE
Didn't the Black family's Dad more often than not get one over on the White Familys Dad.

In fact honkey was portrayed as a bellend to anyone with more than a brain stem. A bit like the dynamic used for All Garnett, he was their to take the p!ss out of racists by showing their stupidity.

Yes, Eddie Booth was shown as the stupid one.
I think it was so different to how it would be re done today. it featured normal working class people, showed how the wive’s were just wive’s and saw their husbands antics as foolish

Today I feel it would have to be grimy, downbeat and try to label the white actors as guilty, while the black ones were victims.

Love thy neighbour imho got the point across very well, and with silly but good humour.

edit.
The issue this film deals with is a harder subject, as is the issue of adults grooming kids to become drug runners etc.

The kids need to learn they are in fact the victims of the adults or older kids, which goes against the grooming technique whereby the kids are told they are increasing their status by working for the adults or joining a running operation.

Just my two penneth worth.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I saw Goldeneye as a 19yr old student and since then I have actually had the overwhelming urge to drive an MBT at full chat in a reckless manner through a major city full of culturally and historically significant architecture and street furniture, on the other hand.

The closest I've got is taking a '432 for a closely supervised spin around the training circuit at Bovvy.

we skidded a 432 on icy cobblestones en route to the goldrun exercise area

NSP

LE
we skidded a 432 on icy cobblestones en route to the goldrun exercise area
That's nice. The Bovvy circuit the TM took us around didn't have any cobblestones....

Mind you, I've seen some interesting clips posted by our resident Russia-watcher (username eludes me) where they have an annual "military Olympics" sort of thing and there's some great footage of T-72s, T-80s, T-90s being given a hard turn to line up to enter a wet pit after coming off a firm but unpaved tank track then having to do a 90° turn to line up with the pit entry. Only the pit apron is concrete, wet and muddy from previous competitors, and the tank skids nicely, throwing a track in the process.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is an absolute tragedy. A young man with his whole life ahead of him has been fatally attacked and his family are absolutely devastated.

It turned out his whole life was a hell of a lot shorter than anyone expected.

Oh dear.

A caller to Radio 5 defended this film in very strong terms this morning.

The lady who called in defended the film saying it wasn’t condoning violence but was about love. she said the teenagers who were fighting or arrested were too young to see the film so couldn’t have been there to watch this film, and added that those arrested were Asian and NOT black.

She commented further that the filmmaker is massively talented and will be the next Spielberg!

It must be clarified, that she hadn’t been in any of the cinemas where there had been trouble, and hadn’t even seen the film!

Some clown on LBC now, telling the host that he shouldn't be supporting a withdrawal of the film because white privilege.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is an absolute tragedy. A young man with his whole life ahead of him has been fatally attacked and his family are absolutely devastated.

It turned out his whole life was a hell of a lot shorter than anyone expected.

Oh dear.

....was it a young man who thought hanging around in a big armed gang was a Good Idea?

And that's why Muai Thai is for girls.

In a real fight, eyes on, every second.

I just kick them in the balls then run like the wind.

Actually, I'm too old for that now, that was my 1980s -90s persona. My last scuffle, i played the middle-class-middle-aged-white- guy-with-a-tie-on card. Amazing how the rozzers were pro- specop. The one before that, same, I'm the sensible chap from over the road, covered in blood and disheveled, but clearly educated. 30 years earlier i got hauled away in identical circumstances...

I saw Goldeneye as a 19yr old student and since then I have actually had the overwhelming urge to drive an MBT at full chat in a reckless manner through a major city full of culturally and historically significant architecture and street furniture, on the other hand.

The closest I've got is taking a '432 for a closely supervised spin around the training circuit at Bovvy.

Did it make it all the way round?

Or a gypsy whisper.
Had to Google that
What a lovely group The UK is truly blessed with such vibrancy and diversity our cup doth runneth over.
Now the kittens will purr.
Or a gypsy whisper. To, you know, stop the need for ROPs, before it starts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191126-181540.png
    Screenshot_20191126-181540.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 55

Latest Threads