Vintage clothing and kit - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Fat_Walt, Aug 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I can properly live up to my forum name, I and my other half have recently joined a WW2 reenactment group. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any surplus or militaria shops (bricks & mortar or online) that would have a fair selection of period or replica uniform, kit and equipment?

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

so are you wanting to be a fat tankie, fat para, fat them, fat stores, fat cook etc... a clue would be nice :)

cheapest way would be get a forage cap, ammo boots, puttees, wooly trousers and collarless shirt then add a tin bath, gallon of water and 300lb of spuds - fat jankers

• Like Like x 3
  3. These people would be able to help I should imagine WW1 and WW2 Uniforms and Equipment

4. I get fat jankers all the time. Just ask the missus. ;)

Actually I'll be a fat frog as we've joined the resistance. I thought that running around in a full uniform at my age (and waist size) would be pretty ridiculous but could get away with civvies (The other half fancied something more active than the NAAFI and likes weaponry). I'm looking for the the bits of kit and possibly clothing that might possibly have been airdropped or that could have been picked up from jerry or that might have been hanging around in the attic, so I'm not limited to British kit but French and German too.

5. No probs, VERA Victory in Europe Reenactment Association Would be a good source for period dress, they're well established and seemed a friendly bunch when I met them, mind you I was feeding them a load of Rat Packs we'd misappropriated from some Air Cadets.

6. Have you tried 1941?

7. Grumblegrunt

so you need a couple of strings on onions, beret un badged, stripy shirt, ill fitting black suit and a bicycle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pretty much. ;-)

9. You could always just get a Grandad Shirt, Waistcoat and Apron and call yourself Rene.

10. Only if I can persuede the other half to wear the waitresses uniform and become proficient in the use of a rotary whisk and a stick of celery. ;-)

11. Grumblegrunt

ah but the wife has to be an old hag with an awfull voice so you can shag the waitresses. :)

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

These bods are good - nice bunch who put in some effort to their walting advice.

Varusteleka

13. I may never buy anything from them, but - courtesy of their random product button - I am being very amused. I'd recommend it to anyone: especially impressive is their spiel around (a) the Greek flag shoulder patches, (b) the Italian issue pack, and (c) their petroleum stoove fuel.

I am watching Mamam Mia with my family, and browsing the varusteleka site in parallel . . good fun :-D
    ========
    Stonkernote: Their ad for the British Mk. IV steel helmet, used cites Arrsepedia - so they are deffo clued up!!

14. Has your other half considered joining FANY? Get the stuff for nothing...