Vince Cable - Is he racist?

Africa will never overcome petty tribal rivalries until one tribe has totally annihilated the other.
And then they will fight among themselves.

Zulu vs Xhosa in SA is a definite possibility.

So long as we are selling arms to both sides. Fair trade forever!

Ah fair one; still it was hardly a long-term colonial thing.
I think you'll find that a hen party from Rhyl on a long weekend is long term enough to blame the colonising west.

Certainly as far as the likes of Cable and his ilk are concerned.

The fact that many other countries suffered rather badly in the same period and dusted themselves down and got on with it is irrelevant. To misquote L.P.Hartley:

'Africa is a different country; they do things differently there',

And why on earth do they still wonder why they will never be taken seriously in UK political circles, by either working and tax-paying voters or business?
The last actual time they were actually in power was from 1906 to 1915.
It was only in 1918 that the school leaving age was upped from 12 to 14 years old.
Poor Old Vinny still thinks (if he actually does these days) much like our own dear venerable Baggy (if he even does these days too) that us leavers voted like these average indigenous type peoples.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Old Vince actually taught economics at Glasgow Univeristy for a while many, many years ago. He also worked as an Oil economist/analyst for quite a few years before he stood for parlyment. Perhaps he should congtemplate knitting yoghurt blankets for homeless Lib-Dumbs in his old age.
Cable and the post office privitisation are a classic example of a politician being tasked with a job where the results are measurable and being found wanting. In this case Cable was too dumb to see that the Big 4 accountancy firm giving him advice on the share price to offer the shares at had motives to under-price the shares. For example, lots of that firm's clients benefited from snapping up under-priced shares and selling them on within days of weeks.

I would have had more respect for Cable if he's have got up on his hind legs and said:

"This was a difficult and complex decision. Despite the expert advice I received, I got the offer share price wrong and would like to offer my apologies for this error of judgement. The decision was taken with the best of intentions, and I would ask you to take two things into account. Firstly, no politician is infallible; like anyone else, we don't get every decision right. Secondly, hindsight is a wonderful thing; I would also like each of my critics to ask themselves an honest question; would I have got this decision right myself?"

Instead all we got was typical politicians waffle saying he'd done a decent job when 95% of the country knew he'd ballsed it up.

Wordsmith

Cable and the post office privitisation are a classic example of a politician being tasked with a job where the results are measurable and being found wanting. In this case Cable was too dumb to see that the Big 4 accountancy firm giving him advice on the share price to offer the shares at had motives to under-price the shares. For example, lots of that firm's clients benefited from snapping up under-priced shares and selling them on within days of weeks.

I would have had more respect for Cable if he's have got up on his hind legs and said:

"This was a difficult and complex decision. Despite the expert advice I received, I got the offer share price wrong and would like to offer my apologies for this error of judgement. The decision was taken with the best of intentions, and I would ask you to take two things into account. Firstly, no politician is infallible; like anyone else, we don't get every decision right. Secondly, hindsight is a wonderful thing; I would also like each of my critics to ask themselves an honest question; would I have got this decision right myself?"

Instead all we got was typical politicians waffle saying he'd done a decent job when 95% of the country knew he'd ballsed it up.

Wordsmith
To be fair, I don't think he got it wrong - it appeared to be a deliberate method of enriching certain friends and companies.

Which is why they restricted the opportunity for normal people to buy any significant number of shares, and only allowed 'institutional investors' the opportunity to double their money.

Many, many ordinary folk knew before the sale the shares were massively underpriced.

Wordsmith
It's not like that was the first time a privatisation had been priced too low so that stags could benefit, after all. He could have looked at gas, electricity railways ... and learned from history.

D

Deleted 20555

Africa will never overcome petty tribal rivalries until one tribe has totally annihilated the other.
And then they will fight among themselves.

Zulu vs Xhosa in SA is a definite possibility.
I think a cheeky £5 on the Zulu side would be in order.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not like that was the first time a privatisation had been priced too low so that stags could benefit, after all. He could have looked at gas, electricity railways ... and learned from history.
Politicians never seem to realise that they are sometimes dealing with people (or organisations) that are smarter or more devious than they are.

Vince seems to have been played for a sucker.

Wordsmith

For once, Cable was entirely correct in his unqualified support for the statement delivered by the PM today, and for his suggestion that the money and property of Russian gangsters in the UK (including, interestingly, a £14m flat overlooking the MoD) be put under the microscope. This was in stark contrast to the entirely predictable words of the traitor and Kremlinphile Corbyn. In virtually every other respect I still regard Cable as a prize pillock, but in this instance he was spot on and deserves credit for being so.