Villains never use iPhones

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
ITV News has just told us that Apple will not allow villains ever to use iPhones in films or on TV. It seems that if you are watching a murder mystery, whodunit, etc and a character uses an iPhone, you can eliminate him as a suspect. Apple say it's about good product placement.

Am I alone in thinking it could be a double-edged sword and, now the industry has had it brought to their attention, maybe producers will say, "Bollix," and not bother placing Apples at all?

Apparently it was in yesterday's Grauniad, but it obviously passed the Arrserati by.

They probably shouldn't use any phone. I've watched a few of these fly on the wall police murder investigations programmes recently and it would seem that mobile phone evidence has proved to be their undoing.

..... maybe producers will say, "Bollix," and not bother placing Apples at all?
It’s not too much bother for a production to conduct product placement .... it comes with funding as it’s advertising.

The bother comes with the rules that a company has about its brand, if you’re willing to put up with those then this is just one such rule from one company.

So if you’d like some cash from Apple then you’d use the product placement.
Letting the cat out of the bag isn’t so much of an issue unless every single character is a suspect, or that you don’t care that a few people are going to be paying attention and remembering that one point.

Email

Clanker
People don't look at what type of phone a villain is using, not really any point in this, people do not care.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It’s not too much bother for a production to conduct product placement .... it comes with funding as it’s advertising.

The bother comes with the rules that a company has about its brand, if you’re willing to put up with those then this is just one such rule from one company.

So if you’d like some cash from Apple then you’d use the product placement.
Letting the cat out of the bag isn’t so much of an issue unless every single character is a suspect, or that you don’t care that a few people are going to be paying attention and remembering that one point.
Oh I entirely get what you say. It just makes me think that if everybody played that game, like Samsung, H'away, etc, it would become difficult to give the baddie anything. Does it make me a baddy because I use a Nokia on a pay as you go tariff on an O2 SIM bought for a tenner a year ago and I still have £12 of that tenner (thanks for the £5 freebie for buying the SIM. Cheers easy)?d

I just think it's arrogant of Apple to think only good guys use iPhones.

Email

Clanker
I think it is about removing negative connotations regarding the iPhone, I don't think Apple think that. It is about PR not status/how they view themselves.

People don't look at what type of phone a villain is using, not really any point in this, people do not care.
We’re discussing apple phones on arrse, and similar discussions will be occurring elsewhere
That’s pretty much their point, they have upped the free publicity.

Subliminal advertising is quite common. Have your product with good side of a story is a positive no matter how seemingly innocuous.

I'm assuming a remake of the Agatha Christie classic "10 stroppy Negroes" would have Apple caving in, as they would appear to have at least 3 each, albeit on a very temporary basis.
I feel sorry for the sound techs.

Subliminal advertising is quite common. Have your product with good side of a story is a positive no matter how seemingly innocuous.
The Sweeney is a case in point.
Ford provided the cars. Only the good guys drove Fords. The baddies had Jag Mk2s, Triumphs, Morris Marinas etc.
1970s Fords have become iconic with a price tag to match.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
ITV News has just told us that Apple will not allow villains ever to use iPhones in films or on TV. It seems that if you are watching a murder mystery, whodunit, etc and a character uses an iPhone, you can eliminate him as a suspect. Apple say it's about good product placement.

Am I alone in thinking it could be a double-edged sword and, now the industry has had it brought to their attention, maybe producers will say, "Bollix," and not bother placing Apples at all?

Apparently it was in yesterday's Grauniad, but it obviously passed the Arrserati by.

General Motors have been doing this for absolute YEARS.

Check any high octane Yanqui films involving a car-chase.

The wrong 'uns will ALWAYS be driving a non -American car....typically a Merc or BMW or even a Range Rover Sport.

Much the same as any heroically awful villain is played by a Brit <shrug>

Oh I entirely get what you say. It just makes me think that if everybody played that game, like Samsung, H'away, etc, it would become difficult to give the baddie anything. Does it make me a baddy because I use a Nokia on a pay as you go tariff on an O2 SIM bought for a tenner a year ago and I still have £12 of that tenner (thanks for the £5 freebie for buying the SIM. Cheers easy)?d

I thought that they say that any publicty is good publicty. I suppose that depends if you are sponsoring the production though.

sunny james

War Hero
I thought that they say that any publicty is good publicty. I suppose that depends if you are sponsoring the production though.
I doubt BL were sponsors of Tenspeed and Browshoe starring a young Jeff Goldblum.
He got lumbered with a Triumph TR7

download.jpeg

The Sweeney is a case in point.
Ford provided the cars. Only the good guys drove Fords. The baddies had Jag Mk2s, Triumphs, Morris Marinas etc.
1970s Fords have become iconic with a price tag to match.
How very true,i still love the old Fords from the seventies,now i know why. :salut:
I suppose i'd never really thought about why.:oops:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The number of US film baddies who drive Range Rovers is quite startling.

Makes it easier for law enforcement. Crime committed, send plod to local Landrover dealer for database of customers, pop round the houses of those who have bought a black one and slap on the cuffs.

Well that's awkward. I was going to make a film about child bank robbers who work part time in a electronics factory in China to make ends meet.

The film won't be realistic if they're making anything else

Latest Threads