Village Bay St Kilda, former Guided Weapons Range Tracking Station (Hebrides)

abemnik

Swinger
Had many a sub Hunter missile, always good for a laugh, and the ones that went straight up after leaving beams and straight back down again. While the blokes dived for cover :-D
Just as well they folk that run the site have plenty experience of subs then, they also run the British Underwater Testing and Evaluation Centre at Kyle, where all the Royal Navy subs are put through their paces trying to sneak past sonar outs, plus it’s the only torpedo range in British waters , during Joint Warrior last year, saw quite a few launches on the range from NATO destroyers, targeting unmanned boats out on the range, long gone are the days when targets were old barges

Not that much of a swim, try the North Channel not far away far more challenging about 35km takes in excess of 10hrs, is one of the Ocean’s Seven swims.
The shortest distance from Benbecula to Skye is about 25km, so I would say it's a fair swim by any standards.

It

The Fat Panda, it is rumored to be a Chinese restaurant but like the two Indian restaurant guaranty, I won’t eat at any of the three in Portree, the Chinese is just a takeaway, but if you have had a poor meal on the mainland, then you really won’t want to eat there as in my opinion it is rubbish,as are the two Indians, although one is more Bangladeshi, a decent Chinese at Kyle of Lochalsh, and the Indian at Kyleakin on theSkye side of the bridge is supposed to be good, but never eaten there.
@philc The tearoom was taken over about theee years ago, and it’s the former chef of the Three Chimneys that owns it now, supposed to be very good, but that is one thing about Skye, it has plenty of good eateries to visit, Scorrybreac in Portree, owned by Calum Munro, son of former Runrig frontman Donnie, who sometimes does the dishes, Edinbane Lodge, and Edinbane Inn, Uilinish Lodge, that’s all within 20 mins of the boat trips base
There were no restaurants on The Uists when I was there (don't know how it is now) but all the pubs were hotels which meant, in theory, that the locals could get a drink on a Sunday (at that time in Jockland, pubs shut on a Sunday but not hotels). However, the kirk was very powerful in the area and made sure that the hotel bars stayed shut so the only place that a local could get a drink was our NAAFI. As the duty of the Canteen Cowboy was to ensure that only signed in 'guests' were allowed in, it made Sunday lunchtime duty very interesting.

abemnik

Swinger
The shortest distance from Benbecula to Skye is about 25km, so I would say it's a fair swim by any standards.
Takes about 20 minutes in my boat to get from Skye to Berneray(lochs) harbour at 25 knots, swimming in the Minch is so last year, too many lions mane jellyfish when the temps are warm enough,

abemnik

Swinger
There were no restaurants on The Uists when I was there (don't know how it is now) but all the pubs were hotels which meant, in theory, that the locals could get a drink on a Sunday (at that time in Jockland, pubs shut on a Sunday but not hotels). However, the kirk was very powerful in the area and made sure that the hotel bars stayed shut so the only place that a local could get a drink was our NAAFI. As the duty of the Canteen Cowboy was to ensure that only signed in 'guests' were allowed in, it made Sunday lunchtime duty very interesting.
Not been in Benbecula for a long time, but back then, it was only the Creagorry and the Dark Island hotels you could get a bite to eat, stayed in the DI once when as a 15 year old I applied for a civvy apprenticeship at Ballivannich, but that was as far along that route as I got, but was accepted for an apprenticeship with the Royal Engineers at Army Apprentice College, Chepsotw, well Benchley Camp below the Severn Bridge, and hated it, was in a nasty car crash just a month or two before I went down there, and had damage to my back, got an admin discharge, after about 6 months to allow me to get my back sorted, reapplies for the army exactly a year to the day I left, was asked where I what unit, and decided it was infantry for me, but realized I screwed up and should have gone back into the sappers but he ho, that’s life

I had a takeaway from the Chinese in Portree following an night out on the local spirits whilst I was on the P2000s. I'm sure my scrawlings are still on their service counter as I tried to write a cheque and missed. Don't know the quality of the food, only the quality of the hangover the next morning.

abemnik

Swinger
I had a takeaway from the Chinese in Portree following an night out on the local spirits whilst I was on the P2000s. I'm sure my scrawlings are still on their service counter as I tried to write a cheque and missed. Don't know the quality of the food, only the quality of the hangover the next morning.
Felt that way in Portree many a time

Latest Threads