Vikings - tv series

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Schaden, Mar 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

to bump...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Have you managed to watch it in the UK? It hasn't been on TV here yet and the online sources I have found for it only work in the US.

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you sir. Now here is hoping that they have done a good enough job on the story to over look the serious lack of research they seem to have done.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Well just to be extra careful and not have to turn in your Pedant T-Shirt why don't you refuse to watch it?

7. RAAAAAAGNAAAAAARRR!

Couldn't beat Kirk Douglas (showing my age)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Were shaved heads and wimmen warriors popular in those days then.

I wouldn't though the Vikings would have had wimmen types fighting alongside...not being modern and supportive of equal opportunities and stuff...

They'd look tougher wearing these:

[​IMG]

Rodney2q

PS I know that the Norman knigts shaved part of their head but afaik that was to make wearing a helmet more comfy.

9. Female warriors?

FFS stop pandering to the PC brigade.

10. It's an unapologetic adolescent cheese fest but I'm rather enjoying it, it's actually not as daft as Game Of Thrones.

11. I've caught up on season 3 of this over the last week, the episode "At the Gates" with the siege of Paris was pretty spectacular! I liked the huge spiked cotton reel thing the French rolled down the gauntlet at the Vikings in the following episode. It may not be historically accurate to the rivet counters among us but it's bloody good.
    The only thing that really seems to bug me is that the Vikings never wear helmets into battle, whereas their enemies regardless of region all wear them. We know the Vikings did have helmets so is there a particular reason they are absent from the series, aside from making it easy to see who characters are during the frantic battle scenes?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. The costume people for the series had a very definite idea of what Vikings 'should' look like before they started. I know a lot of reenactors who have been extras on it, people who have put a huge amount of time and effort into getting their kit as close to what the Norse actually wore as possible. They aren't allowed to wear their own kit on set as it doesn't 'look right' and have to wear random bits of leather and fur instead to match what the actors are wearing. A lot of the clothing/equipment weirdness also seems to be intended to make it easy for viewers to tell Vikings from Saxons from Franks.

My guess for the complete lack of helmets on Vikings is that you are right and they didn't want the principle actors faces covered. If the other people in the scene were wearing them it would look strange that the main characters weren't.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Oh yes....very watchable. Amazon Prime does it. Hopefully the next series will be out soon. That said I really do like Game of Thrones as well, though I'm only half way through Series 5.

14. I've watched all 3 series and really enjoyed it. Last episode of Series 3 is totally pants though.

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

They're are four now. All available for free to Amazon Prime customers.

Quite enjoy it as a series although I feel Black Sails is better (if massively different).

• Like Like x 2