Vikings in Basildon - November

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Goatman, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

( a sub headline to dream of....)

here y'go:
    SOURCE
    Regtl Assoc Newsletter says :

Gentlefolk of The Eastern Association - DYB and spread the word to those who can and should.

Gudonya!

Dee Billy-Bock

2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

me an sticks will be there .

3. I would like to be there but unfortunately I cannot make it. If only they picked a Saturday or Sunday for this. They'd get a better turnout.

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

If it means anything to you - don't you have a dental appointment that day ? ;-)

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Thank you for getting in touch with The Lovely Iron Duke. The Lovely Iron Duke reads all of his emails and they make him feel warm. Deep down inside.

Sadly on this occasion The Lovely Iron Duke cannot march with you. He is Pikey Intolerant.

Kind regards, Charlotte Ptolomy-Chivas.
    Personal Assistant to the Lovely Iron Duke.

7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

i didn't see kick off time so I assume 11.00 ?? any protesting muslims might be in for a mullahring this year . see wot i did there ?

8. I have considered that, but I've been waiting almost a year for this appointment and wouldn't be able to get another in a hurry.

9. The local paper says that they will be parading the Salamanca Eagle as well. As this rarely comes out of the museum, it's worth grabing a picture or two if anyone can make it there.

This was the real Eagle captured from the French. Not the fabled one that Sharpe captured on the telly!

10. But surely Sharpe is a documentary, unlike Bernard Cornwell's 'Angle Irons' Series of books?

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

13. I watched the parade through Basildon yesterday and most of the townsfolk in the centre of town seemed to be quite supportive. Only note of criticism was that I couldn't hear what was being said because of the constant cheering and applause after any of the troops moved after a particular drill movement (halting, presenting arms, turning to march off, being inspected etc) - or the thickos at the back of the crowd who were drowning out some of the crowd with referees whistles. I wasn't too sure either if the band was from the Corps of Music or Royal Anglians, I couldn't see their helmet badges clearly enough and they appeared to be wearing the London District grey Greatcoats with rank badges (black chevrons on a red backing) on the lower arm, but they seemed to revel in the applause more than the troops on parade.

The Battalion exercised its rights to march through the town in MTP combats without webbing but with weapons and bayonets, (officers carrying swords without scabbards) colours flying (Colour party in Blues) and band playing. The bearded Pioneer Sergeant (in MTP with long white apron and carrying a ceremonial axe) brought up the rear. They were followed at a distance by some other members of the Battalion trying to sell copies of "The Viking". The attached personnel, including a couple of females, RAMC, AGC and REME wore the infantry brown/khaki beret.

All in all, they acquitted themselves well.