Vikings in Basildon - November

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
( a sub headline to dream of....)

here y'go:
SOURCE
Honour our heroes7:00am Monday 22nd October 2012

TODAY the Echo urges you to line the streets of Basildon and honour our heroes.

It’s just a matter of weeks before the 1st Batallion the Royal Anglian Regiment will march through the town to celebrate their homecoming on Thursday, November 8.

The troops returned from Afghanistan just over a month ago and for some it will be their first parade so everyone in the borough is being encouraged to turn out and show their support.

More than 300 soldiers from the regiment, nicknamed The Vikings, will march from Toys’R’Us to Town Square.

It will be a historic day for Basildon, which was granted borough status in 2010, as the march will also celebrate the regiment becoming the first-ever recipients of the Freedom of the Borough honour.

At the end of the march HRH the Duke of Gloucester and commander in chief of the regiment will inspect the troops.

It is hoped patriotic, flag-waving residents of all ages will turn out in their hundreds, along with members of Basildon Council, the Royal British Legion, businesses and shoppers as well as schoolchildren and staff.

Tony Ball, leader of Basildon Council, said some schools are arranging to take their pupils along on the day and believes that is “absolutely right”. “I think it’s one of the proudest moments of my life as a councillor and for the residents of Basildon,” he said.

“I think it’s something all residents would like to have, the opportunity to welcome them home and pay tribute to the work they have done on our behalf. “It’s also an honour the Duke of Gloucester will be here to inspect the troops.”

Mo Larkin, mayor of Basildon, said getting the troops to march through the town was something she fought for during the borough status bid when she was chairman of the authority.

She added: “It’s so important because they put their lives on the line for us and we need to show them support. “There’s nothing greater than giving your life for something. We just want to show them that we all care.”Mrs Larkin will also be presented with the British Empire Medal on the day by the Duke to recognise more than 20 years of her hard work and dedication to charity work
Regtl Assoc Newsletter says :

Please:
 Pass the letter on to Regimental contacts in the counties - Regular, TA, Cadets, RFCA, Associations, RBL, families, friends and supporters. Ask them to pass it on in turn.
 Also pass the letter on to personal civilian contacts, particularly those who are opinion formers or persons of influence - central and local government, civil dignitaries, employers, schools, local press and local celebrities. Ask them to support the Vikings’ homecoming and encourage others to do likewise.
3. The Regimental officers responsible for the parades, to whom all queries should be addressed, are as follows:
 Romford and Basildon: Area Sec Warley: Maj TJ : Tel: [PM Me] email: rhqranglian-ahqwarleyareasec@mod.uk

Gentlefolk of The Eastern Association - DYB and spread the word to those who can and should.

Gudonya!

Dee Billy-Bock

I would like to be there but unfortunately I cannot make it. If only they picked a Saturday or Sunday for this. They'd get a better turnout.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If it means anything to you - don't you have a dental appointment that day ? ;-)

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Also pass the letter on to personal civilian contacts, particularly those who are opinion formers or persons of influence
Thank you for getting in touch with The Lovely Iron Duke. The Lovely Iron Duke reads all of his emails and they make him feel warm. Deep down inside.

Sadly on this occasion The Lovely Iron Duke cannot march with you. He is Pikey Intolerant.

Kind regards, Charlotte Ptolomy-Chivas.
Personal Assistant to the Lovely Iron Duke.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i didn't see kick off time so I assume 11.00 ?? any protesting muslims might be in for a mullahring this year . see wot i did there ?

If it means anything to you - don't you have a dental appointment that day ? ;-)
I have considered that, but I've been waiting almost a year for this appointment and wouldn't be able to get another in a hurry.

The local paper says that they will be parading the Salamanca Eagle as well. As this rarely comes out of the museum, it's worth grabing a picture or two if anyone can make it there.

This was the real Eagle captured from the French. Not the fabled one that Sharpe captured on the telly!

The local paper says that they will be parading the Salamanca Eagle as well. As this rarely comes out of the museum, it's worth grabing a picture or two if anyone can make it there.

This was the real Eagle captured from the French. Not the fabled one that Sharpe captured on the telly!
But surely Sharpe is a documentary, unlike Bernard Cornwell's 'Angle Irons' Series of books?

I watched the parade through Basildon yesterday and most of the townsfolk in the centre of town seemed to be quite supportive. Only note of criticism was that I couldn't hear what was being said because of the constant cheering and applause after any of the troops moved after a particular drill movement (halting, presenting arms, turning to march off, being inspected etc) - or the thickos at the back of the crowd who were drowning out some of the crowd with referees whistles. I wasn't too sure either if the band was from the Corps of Music or Royal Anglians, I couldn't see their helmet badges clearly enough and they appeared to be wearing the London District grey Greatcoats with rank badges (black chevrons on a red backing) on the lower arm, but they seemed to revel in the applause more than the troops on parade.

The Battalion exercised its rights to march through the town in MTP combats without webbing but with weapons and bayonets, (officers carrying swords without scabbards) colours flying (Colour party in Blues) and band playing. The bearded Pioneer Sergeant (in MTP with long white apron and carrying a ceremonial axe) brought up the rear. They were followed at a distance by some other members of the Battalion trying to sell copies of "The Viking". The attached personnel, including a couple of females, RAMC, AGC and REME wore the infantry brown/khaki beret.

All in all, they acquitted themselves well.