Viking out, Warthog in as 2 RTR unleash new beast

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Dec 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldiers from the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment delivering security in Afghanistan have traded in their old Viking vehicles and upgraded to something even better – the mighty Warthog.

2 RTR, will use Warthog’s outstanding manoeuvrability to bring firepower and armoured support wherever it’s needed. To reflect the new vehicle at their disposal, 2 RTR soldiers in theatre are now known as “Warthog Group” – and they are already renowned as one of the most mobile ground units under British command in Helmand.

Read more here

2. Bone question , but I am well out of touch... How do these compare to Warrior , or is there simply no comparison ?

3. Comparing what?
    Mobility, protection, firepower, interior space?

4. All of the above

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well one things for sure the ground pressure will be a hell of a lot less.

6. Mobility - Superior
    Firepower - Less, in theory (but I would be interested to see how GMG and Rarden compare at typical engagement ranges)
    ISTAR - Inferior
    Protection - Inferior on paper, but against key threats in AFG, similar or superior
    Capacity - Similar

The key though is mobility - all of the other characteristics are almost irrelevant if you can't get them where they're needed.

7. Thanks GB .Ugly looking brutes though.
    I suppose they'll belisted under " star buys " in Withams in about 3 years.

8. Is there not still a Warrior coy in Helmand?

9. Does anyone know the full remit of Warthog's role and what will happen to the Vikings and BVs now?

I.e. Does Warthog take over the over-snow/amphibious armoured ATV role as well, or is Warthog only for Afghan/COE use as a very mobile PPV whilst Viking goes back to the over-snow and amphib duties it was originally intended for?

Cheers

V

10. Thread diversion: Its been mentioned before on many threads regarding Cap badges migrating to over the left ear. But the Guy on top of the Warthog 2nd pic down, his cap badge is Smack bang in the center of his forehead. Is he planning on head butting a terry to death leaving a cap badge impression stamped on the unlucky jihadis face?

Attached Files:

• cap.JPG
      cap.JPG
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Last I heard, Warthog is AFG-only UOR, and Viking will remain the core equipment for the RM Armd Support Gp.

However, plans do have a habit of changing - original plan in 2006 was to gift Mastiff to the Iraqis when we eventually threw in the towel....ermmm...I mean, "move to a position of strategic overwatch"!

12. Sinner, that's a tankie, wearing his beret in the classic 'Tankie' style, quite common with the the Armoured Corps guys along with the Razz man shouting "get that fecking tankie out of your beret"

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Damn, I thought we were getting all space age and deploying these babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one in Iraq:

[​IMG]

14. Cheers G_B, makes sense that way I guess, pointless using Bronco with all it's extra IED protection in Norway et al and they're obviously needed elsewhere. And Viking seems lighter and smaller - probably better suited as the standard wagon for landing craft, forest tracks, mountain passes etc in the conventional amphib/Northern Flank role, and I doubt Bronco is heli-transportable either.

As a UOR it will be interesting to see if we keep the Bronco's in storage for the next op after Afghan, or if we get rid completely. Hopefully we hang onto them since otherwise we may just have to reinvent the wheel the next time we get into a COIN op in some remote region!

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Biped, you have now mystified the fack out of anyone over 50 who hasn't played HALO....however, you might not be aware that the three barrelled .50 cal Gatling mounted on the Chief's vehicle of choice is based on a genuine weapon system being touted by GEC Macaroni Systems back when God was a boy, Pontius was the Pilot and I worked in Defence Sales.

Good bit of kit.
    [​IMG]