Viewing PDF files online

Yokel

LE
Over the last few weeks I have noticed that some PDF files accessed via Google or from websites do not open, but automatically download before I can look to see if they are of interest. Yesterday evening and this morning it has seemed to do this every single time.

Have I done something to mess up the settings?

Click on the file link - some will open in a seperate tab in the browser. Others will give you the option to open directly with Adobe or to choose to download with opening it.

Depends on the hosting website I think.

RBMK

War Hero
They will open within Firefox and also MS Edge.
Not had any issues

Yokel

LE
I am using Firefox. Some files are worth downloading and saving, but others not so much. I think I will try going back to a saved link to the URL of a PDF I read online and see what happens.

Also different searches can find the same files, or totally irrelevant ones, so having a look is helpful.

Settings perhaps?

I am using Firefox. Some files are worth downloading and saving, but others not so much. I think I will try going back to a saved link to the URL of a PDF I read online and see what happens.

Also different searches can find the same files, or totally irrelevant ones, so having a look is helpful.

Settings perhaps?
Found this from Firefox help. I have highlighted important points in bold.

"Firefox includes a built-in PDF viewer that allows you to view almost all PDF files found on the web without an external application. Exceptions to this are PDF files with a MIME type incorrectly set. This built-in PDF viewer is enabled by default. When you click on a link to a PDF file or open it from the Firefox Downloads panel, it will be rendered with the built-in pdf viewer."

View PDF files in Firefox or choose another viewer | Firefox Help

Foxit is a decent stand alone pdf reader. Free PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found Firefox had upgraded this morning. My guess is they've changed a setting

Puss

Swinger

Settings perhaps?
Look in your Firefox Options (right hand side, three lines, go down to Options)
Scroll down to Applications, there should be a table - under Content Type look for PDF
Make sure the Action reads Open in Firefox and not Save File

Yokel

LE
I did a Firefox refresh and it appears to be back to normal, but at the expense of losing my list of bookmarks (Doh!) and more annoyingly, managing to log myself out from a site I really need to use and am no totally sure of the password. Doh!

Last edited:

Latest Threads