Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viewing PDF files online

Yokel

LE
Over the last few weeks I have noticed that some PDF files accessed via Google or from websites do not open, but automatically download before I can look to see if they are of interest. Yesterday evening and this morning it has seemed to do this every single time.

Have I done something to mess up the settings?

Click on the file link - some will open in a seperate tab in the browser. Others will give you the option to open directly with Adobe or to choose to download with opening it.

Depends on the hosting website I think.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
They will open within Firefox and also MS Edge.
Not had any issues

Yokel

LE
I am using Firefox. Some files are worth downloading and saving, but others not so much. I think I will try going back to a saved link to the URL of a PDF I read online and see what happens.

Also different searches can find the same files, or totally irrelevant ones, so having a look is helpful.

Settings perhaps?

I am using Firefox. Some files are worth downloading and saving, but others not so much. I think I will try going back to a saved link to the URL of a PDF I read online and see what happens.

Also different searches can find the same files, or totally irrelevant ones, so having a look is helpful.

Settings perhaps?
Found this from Firefox help. I have highlighted important points in bold.

"Firefox includes a built-in PDF viewer that allows you to view almost all PDF files found on the web without an external application. Exceptions to this are PDF files with a MIME type incorrectly set. This built-in PDF viewer is enabled by default. When you click on a link to a PDF file or open it from the Firefox Downloads panel, it will be rendered with the built-in pdf viewer."

View PDF files in Firefox or choose another viewer | Firefox Help

Foxit is a decent stand alone pdf reader. Free PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found Firefox had upgraded this morning. My guess is they've changed a setting

Puss

Swinger

Settings perhaps?

Look in your Firefox Options (right hand side, three lines, go down to Options)
Scroll down to Applications, there should be a table - under Content Type look for PDF
Make sure the Action reads Open in Firefox and not Save File

Yokel

LE
I did a Firefox refresh and it appears to be back to normal, but at the expense of losing my list of bookmarks (Doh!) and more annoyingly, managing to log myself out from a site I really need to use and am no totally sure of the password. Doh!

Last edited:

Latest Threads