Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

View from Pakistan

Command_doh said:
Thread title offends someone no doubt. As evidence by Prince Ginger Wales, 'Paki' is a racist slur. So in line with the 'can't say or do anything' culture, expect this thread to disappear soon.

For what it is worth it was unintentional.

Command_doh said:
No. I think the fact George W Bush had to withdraw his accidental reference to Pakistani's by the phrase 'Paki' in a speech - drawing widespread international condemnation in the process and most notably from Pakistan herself - kind of makes that point invalid.

Its fcuking ignorant to use the phrase so carelessly these days.

I would suggest perhaps a difference in cultural perspective than "fcuking ignorant." My neighbor at my office is Pakistani and uses that term every day.

Even royalty uses the term Paki - and most of the Paki shop owners I have met dont seem to mind it - given that some of them are Sri Lankans anyway. I dont see it as being any more insulting than being called a Brit.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
ctauch said:
Command_doh said:
PC Police? Nah, mate. Wake up and smell reality - its the world we live in now.

No it's the world you live in and foster you insipid snivelling cunt. I don't bow to the almighty word police, a paki is a paki, just as a wop is a wop, etc...

Those that are offended by a name are small meaningless twats with no sense of worth outside of a label or title embellished to make them fell good.

I'm guessing you are a crusty old cnut who laments the lost world of yester year, unable to function in society, bereft of any semblance of reality? I don't foster it, I just know that thats how it is, quite simply. Why don't you wake up and chuck the Daily Mail away? There is fcuk all you can do about it. If I said 'paki', 'gypo', 'dyke', 'bender' or 'wog' anywhere near a colleague or boss (UK Border Agency), I would be out instantly. So would a lot of people.

Call me a snivelling cnut all you want if it makes you hard at this time of night. Like I said, I don't even know who the fcuk you are, so I'm****ed if i give two hoots about an opinion (remember, this is a forum and opinions are like arrseholes) from someone who has nothing better to do on a Friday night than drunkenly cheap shot someone with personal digs.

alib

LE
eodmatt said:
Even royalty uses the term Paki - and most of the Paki shop owners I have met dont seem to mind it - given that some of them are Sri Lankans anyway. I dont see it as being any more insulting than being called a Brit.
Round my way Brit is a sectarian epithet nearly as offensive as Paddy. Both like Paki tend to be followed by allegations of illegitimacy.

alib

LE
jumpinjarhead said:
Pre-Occupation State: Blackwater or X Services is hired by Zardari to protect mafias

Written by Satinder Singh Pakistan Aug 21, 2009
Many faces have emerged as a savior of Zardari and saying that NRO and past crimes of Zardari are no more questionable. Same group is behind murder of Benazir and establishment of American super embassy. Mostly beneficiaries of NRO and death of BB. Soon after so called death of Baitullah Mehsud, Rahman Malik has requested courts to stop proceedings against scapegoats in Benazir murder case under a plea that a new case would be initiated after UNO enquiry reports. So what about peoples who have been charged against murder of Benazir, and on the basis of their investigations, Baitullah Mehsood was declared a pro claimed offender. That is why Gen. Kiyani was trying hard to eliminate Baitullah before he may be produced in any court of law. And it is on record that Rahman Malik said that he was 95 % killed on intelligence provided by Pakistan, that’s mean ISI is behind drone attacks.

Talking about hiring Kala Pani or Black Water for the safety and security of Zardari, Gaylani and army generals, it is very well clear that those cowards have no feet, and their status is no more than Karazai or Nuri Almaliki. Moreover after establishment of super embassy at Islamabad, prostitution gangs would have direct access to entertain marines, supply of alcohol and Kiyani would be bound to establish a red light area like Karazai has established at Kabul. Red Light club of Kabul has achieved popularity on global scale for provision of relaxation to invaders that anybody can check on web.
I think this guy is mad as a brush. Unfortunately that is actually pretty representative.

Michigan75

Old-Salt
Command_doh said:
And who the fcuk are you? I would call you a cnut, but I don't even know who you are, fcuko. PC Police? Nah, mate. Wake up and smell reality - its the world we live in now.

For what it's worth my english teacher explained, many years ago, that the English language was a lazy language which explains the shortening of words. As such we have 'telly' for television, 'lav' for lavatory, etc. This in turn extends to the various peoples of the world i.e. 'Aussie', 'Jerry', 'Frenchie', 'Kiwi' (instead of the much longer New Zealander) but you get my drift. As for 'Paki', obviously following the general trend of first language english speakers, a shortened version of Pakistani. So why, out of all the shortened versions of nationalities, is 'Paki' deemed to be racist or offensive?
My own view is that certain sections of the Pakistani community within the British Isles have insisted this be the case purely as a stick to beat all others with. Political correctness has insisted everyone toe the line and refrain from using 'Paki' (except the Paki's themselves). The BBC, as the diseminator of all things PC, will never use the word Paki but are quite content in using the word 'Afghani' to denote an Afghanistani. This may be the world we live in now but what a strange entangled world it is, and if we comply all the time with the wishes of the PC brigade we will become a land of dumb mutes frightened to say anything at all.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Michigan75 said:
As for 'Paki', obviously following the general trend of first language english speakers, a shortened version of Pakistani. So why, out of all the shortened versions of nationalities, is 'Paki' deemed to be racist or offensive?

Because it's not just used to describe people from Pakistan. If it was, your point may well stand.

The unspoken subtext from some users reads 'anyone duskier than me'. I've heard an Indian Hindu called a 'Paki bastard' and a Chinese (!!) bloke called a Paki. And while this says more about the intellect of the people who utter them than the recipients, it can be and is used as a generally racial insult.

Sixty said:
Because here in the UK it's a racial slur and used as such. Stateside it's not. Simple enough?

Is it? So why do a number of them have "proud to be a Paki" tattooed on them then?

ctauch said:
Command_doh said:
ctauch said:
Command_doh said:
PC Police? Nah, mate. Wake up and smell reality - its the world we live in now.

No it's the world you live in and foster you insipid snivelling cunt. I don't bow to the almighty word police, a paki is a paki, just as a wop is a wop, etc...

Those that are offended by a name are small meaningless twats with no sense of worth outside of a label or title embellished to make them fell good.

blah blah blah

You're a Paki aren't you? Bet you suck donkey c0cks and fornicate with goats.

Steady on old chap. No need to mention, er, goats., what?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
stacker1 said:
Sixty said:
Because here in the UK it's a racial slur and used as such. Stateside it's not. Simple enough?

Is it? So why do a number of them have "proud to be a Paki" tattooed on them then?

Read the answer above your post.

Michigan75

Old-Salt
Sixty said:
Michigan75 said:
As for 'Paki', obviously following the general trend of first language english speakers, a shortened version of Pakistani. So why, out of all the shortened versions of nationalities, is 'Paki' deemed to be racist or offensive?

Because it's not just used to describe people from Pakistan. If it was, your point may well stand.

The unspoken subtext from some users reads 'anyone duskier than me'. I've heard an Indian Hindu called a 'Paki bastard' and a Chinese (!!) bloke called a Paki. And while this says more about the intellect of the people who utter them than the recipients, it can be and is used as a generally racial insult.

What is the difference between an insult and a racial insult? Is it acceptable to call a spectacle wearing stranger '4 eyes' or a ginger haired person 'carrot top' and when does name calling become a crime punishable by a prison sentence? Which race of people have the absolute right of not being offended?

Michigan75 said:
Command_doh said:
And who the fcuk are you? I would call you a cnut, but I don't even know who you are, fcuko. PC Police? Nah, mate. Wake up and smell reality - its the world we live in now.

For what it's worth my english teacher explained, many years ago, that the English language was a lazy language which explains the shortening of words. As such we have 'telly' for television, 'lav' for lavatory, etc. This in turn extends to the various peoples of the world i.e. 'Aussie', 'Jerry', 'Frenchie', 'Kiwi' (instead of the much longer New Zealander) but you get my drift. As for 'Paki', obviously following the general trend of first language english speakers, a shortened version of Pakistani. So why, out of all the shortened versions of nationalities, is 'Paki' deemed to be racist or offensive?
My own view is that certain sections of the Pakistani community within the British Isles have insisted this be the case purely as a stick to beat all others with. Political correctness has insisted everyone toe the line and refrain from using 'Paki' (except the Paki's themselves). The BBC, as the diseminator of all things PC, will never use the word Paki but are quite content in using the word 'Afghani' to denote an Afghanistani. This may be the world we live in now but what a strange entangled world it is, and if we comply all the time with the wishes of the PC brigade we will become a land of dumb mutes frightened to say anything at all.

I hope not, Afghani is seen as an insult as it refers to the currency, an Afghan or Afghans is correct. Then again knowing how poor the BBC is these days you are probably right :(

Michigan75

Old-Salt
WhiteHorse said:
Michigan75 said:
Command_doh said:

I hope not, Afghani is seen as an insult as it refers to the currency, an Afghan or Afghans is correct. Then again knowing how poor the BBC is these days you are probably right :(
Agreed, however my point is, as I am sure you understand, the BBC is quite willing to shorten the grammatically correct 'Afghanistani' but not 'Pakistani'.

alib said:
eodmatt said:
Round my way Brit is a sectarian epithet nearly as offensive as Paddy. Both like Paki tend to be followed by allegations of illegitimacy.

Well that goes for almost every race/nationality somewhere in the world. If the truth be known I am not quite 100% Brit and there are those who would have me cleansed through a gas chamber for it. Hey ho!

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Michigan75 said:
Agreed, however my point is, as I am sure you understand, the BBC is quite willing to shorten the grammatically correct 'Afghanistani' but not 'Pakistani'.

Because one carries connotations brought on by the morons who use it and the other doesn't.

As an elephant it's true that technically I can be described as a pachyderm.

However there's no doubt at all that the term 'pachy' implies that the user is a speciest.

Continued use of that expression will force me to lodge a complaint with the Carbon Life Forms Communication Control and Censorship Committee,

Yours sincerely,

Jumbo J. Bigones

Michigan75

Old-Salt
littlejim said:
As an elephant it's true that technically I can be described as a pachyderm.

However there's no doubt at all that the term 'pachy' implies that the user is a speciest.

Continued use of that expression will force me to lodge a complaint with the Carbon Life Forms Communication Control and Censorship Committee,

Yours sincerely,

Jumbo J. Bigones

Irony par-excelence.......thanks.