Vietnam

Very nice phots.

I realize that it was war and as a rule all war is nasty and gritty. But is it just me that looks some of the images and films that are associated with the Vietnam war and cannot help but think that some aspects of it were cool? Huey's, cool aircraft (F-105s, F4's, Cobra's), tanned young dudes with Ray-Bans toteing M60's and M-16's and a fraid and sun bleached flack jacket, the music, slewing a brew back at base. A cool war, (very easy to say as someone who has not been affected in any way by it though).

It's childish but books and images of Vietnam just bring out the teenage mong in me. Prior to me joining up it was all Vietnam films and books etc. Being sat on a cold, misty, boggy Dartmoor and then South Armagh was a bit of a come down.

No disrespect meant to any of the yanks on this site, but as a skinny pasty faced teenager growing up in damp, dingy Britain, pretty much anything that came out of that war was awesome.

Very nice phots.

I realize that it was war and as a rule all war is nasty and gritty. But is it just me that looks some of the images and films that are associated with the Vietnam war and cannot help but think that some aspects of it were cool? Huey's, cool aircraft (F-105s, F4's, Cobra's), tanned young dudes with Ray-Bans toteing M60's and M-16's and a fraid and sun bleached flack jacket, the music, slewing a brew back at base. A cool war, (very easy to say as someone who has not been affected in any way by it though).

It's childish but books and images of Vietnam just bring out the teenage mong in me. Prior to me joining up it was all Vietnam films and books etc. Being sat on a cold, misty, boggy Dartmoor and then South Armagh was a bit of a come down.

No disrespect meant to any of the yanks on this site, but as a skinny pasty faced teenager growing up in damp, dingy Britain, pretty much anything that came out of that war was awesome.
I know what you're saying. Am sure JJH will be along to correct us, but there was a certain 'thing' about the guys in that place that was just epic. Respect to all the guys who were there. And like you say, cutting about in NI just wasn't the same.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

did younger americans feel the same? i seem to remember a bit in jarhead where te guy complains that "thats vietnam music, cant we get our own?" or something along those lines.

is it because it was the first televised western war (proper war with all the bell and whistles) combined with a period where popular culture and music was changing dramatically?

far out

I did a bit of work in Bulgaria in '98 and the company had a terrifyingly scruffy looking Mi-6 to move bods and gear about with. The second the thing was in the air it was side and rear doors open and the pilot who was usually a very nice and sensible chap would fly lower than a pads wife knickers and do the same 'da da da da da daaa' bit from Ride of the Valkerie.

It was amusing the first time but by fuck he was lucky not to get battered by one of us by week two.

I did a job of work with the Yanks in NW Afghanistan a few years back. In a relatively non-kinetic AO the transport between FOBs was by via a civvy Huey variant, it was very, very difficult to tune my internal soundtrack away from The Doors and Stones.

OT though, as a bit of an amateur photographer, it never ceases to amaze me just how good those guys were in the days before digital. I know more or less what I'm trying to do, but still rely on the screen on the back of my camera to test and adjust and probably take 10 exposures for every 'keeper'.