Vietnam

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Schaden, Mar 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

2. Great candids.

And reminded me how far back the Chinook goes!

3. Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Great find, shame so much background info is missing.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Thnks to Sawito from AGW BBS for the find I should have added...

6. Some cracking photos there.

The thing that strikes me is that the equipment and background change but the men stay the same. None of those lads would look out of place in a photo taken 40 days ago let alone 40 years ago.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brilliant stuff, thought provoking

8. nice set, great shots

9. Very nice phots.

I realize that it was war and as a rule all war is nasty and gritty. But is it just me that looks some of the images and films that are associated with the Vietnam war and cannot help but think that some aspects of it were cool? Huey's, cool aircraft (F-105s, F4's, Cobra's), tanned young dudes with Ray-Bans toteing M60's and M-16's and a fraid and sun bleached flack jacket, the music, slewing a brew back at base. A cool war, (very easy to say as someone who has not been affected in any way by it though).

It's childish but books and images of Vietnam just bring out the teenage mong in me. Prior to me joining up it was all Vietnam films and books etc. Being sat on a cold, misty, boggy Dartmoor and then South Armagh was a bit of a come down.

No disrespect meant to any of the yanks on this site, but as a skinny pasty faced teenager growing up in damp, dingy Britain, pretty much anything that came out of that war was awesome.

10. I know what you're saying. Am sure JJH will be along to correct us, but there was a certain 'thing' about the guys in that place that was just epic. Respect to all the guys who were there. And like you say, cutting about in NI just wasn't the same.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. did younger americans feel the same? i seem to remember a bit in jarhead where te guy complains that "thats vietnam music, cant we get our own?" or something along those lines.

is it because it was the first televised western war (proper war with all the bell and whistles) combined with a period where popular culture and music was changing dramatically?

far out

12. When I was in Belize all we got was "the Nam" music

13. Same in Brunei, and the sly grins on all of our faces as we were scooting around in one of the two RAF Huey's over the jungle and then abseiling in.....it was clear what was buzzing through all of our childish minds.

14. Pumas when I was there, doing the "nam" thru the river valleys with doors open, and we got paid, happy days