Vietnam Travel Advice.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Walthamstow, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm off to Vietnam with the missus for a couple of weeks - nothing booked yet, just flights (it seemed like a good idead at the time......).

I was wondering if anyone had been and had any advice on where to go / not to go - or general advice about the place. I know absolutely nothing about it all at the moment.

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

avoid the fish.
  3. Don't go into the FFZ, you know what yanks are like.

and watch out for charlie :D
  4. Don't get into any bar-room games where you put a revolver in your temple.
  5. Charlie dont surf :D
  6. Play Ride of the Valkyries as loud as possible in the plane whilst coming in to land.
  7. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Dont go for romantic walks in minefields, :wink: In fact, tell her to walk on and you will catch up :lol:
  8. I went there, South, Centre and North, March, this year. It's one of the best holidays I've had.

I bought a tailored, guided, trip for me and the wife but it was a bit of a PITA - you get whisked around some pretty tacky stuff like the Cu Chi tunnels (fake ones) and a few pagodas and temples, and feel knackered an rather cheated at the lack of reality. If I were you I'd arrange a hotel for the first and last nights (with transport to and from the hotels) and play it by ear when you get there.

If you take mid-range hotels they are dirt cheap - go for the best rooms (about GBP30 for two per night) and you're laughing. Food is great, and there are loads of local travel agents who can arrange just about anything you want (but with an emphasis on putting you on the usual tourist trail crap).

We enjoyed the centre of the country most - Hue especially. The people seem more chilled out and honest. Saigon was hectic, and Hanoi was very formal. Dien Bien Phu is worth a visit because relatively few tourists go there and it has the military angle, but beware of the usual trip to Gen Giap's HQ - scenic drive, but no original stuff when you get there, and a crap load of revisionist history.

Enjoy the trip!
  9. Brilliant - thanks Oyibo.
  10. Aye, particularly the River Cobbler. Still, at least theres no Candiru.