Vietnam discussion/outrageness

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Cabana, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So as not to turn the Anglo-American Hero Rick Rescorla Honoured thread into a slagging, outrage thread, I thought it would be best to continue the heated discussion here.
  2. Before I start, please note my comments to TheSpecialOne, and I quote myself:
    "Indeed you are correct, it was not my intention to tar all US soldiers with the same brush even though it sounded like I was, but as such jumpingjarhead should not tar all N. Vietnamese soldiers with the same brush and should understand that it was a small minority of them that carried out such evil deeds against an invader that was killing millions of their people."

So to clarify, it was not my intention to give the impression I was tarring all US forces with the same brush.

That said, you on the other had are tarring N. Vietnamese soldiers with the same brush. It is like saying all German soldiers were NAZI's and guilty of the genocide that some of their countrymen took part in during WW2, which we all know is a load of hog wash and the same can be said for N. Vietnames soldiers. So please get off your moral high horse and accept that many N. Vietnamese were trying to get rid of an invader of their country and a few were rotten eggs as were a few in the US military. To state
    is tarring all former N. Vietnamese soldiers with the same brush and as such is pure ignorance and arrogance. Oh wait, I forgot I was addressing a yank and that is par for the course.
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Does it need another thread

It'll just desend into a UK V Septics slanging match
  4. Indeed, you may also like to look at the famous or should I say infamous My Lai (how many times was that incident repeated all over Vietnam?), people tied to and dragged behind US vehicles, children raped and shot (I believe the youngest accounted one was 13) by US soldiers, villages burned, chemical defoliant sprayed all over the shop, people chucked out of helicopters etc etc. Both the N. Vietnamese and the US were not whiter then white.
    Yes, the N. Vietnamese soldiers committed atrocities, but that does not excuse the ones that were committed by the US in a country that they had no reason being in.

Of course it brings me to my original point, that Jumpingjarhead cannot tar all N. Vietnamese with the brush of all being wanton murderers and as such should not be appalled by a former US soldier enjoying time with former enemies who probably had nothing to do with the evil jjh speaks of.
  5. Probably not, but no doubt someone will be highly offended if the heated discussion goes on it that particular thread. I would also hope that it won't descend into a UK/SPAM slanging match as it is not really about that.
  6. I think the crucial differences between events like My Lai and the Hue massacre would be the numbers of victims, and the fact that NVA killings were planned and sanctioned at high level. So while I accept your point that not all NVA would have carried out atrocites, I think it would be fair to say that a far greater number of NVA at every level of command than Americans were involved in atrocities.
  7. I totally agree with you.