Vietnam Armoured Cav Book Help needed.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by JINGO, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

To all those military book buffs out there i need some help locating a book I bought and read about 12 years ago. I cannot recall the name of the author and can only recall the title as being something resembling "At Close Quarters"or similar(Tried Amazon just get the Gerald Seymour book of the same title).
    In a nutshell the book was written by a crewman on an M113 ACAV in Vietnam, (The version with an armoured .50 mount and two shielded M60s). It covered his tour with a recce unit (could have been 11 ACR) and involved a lot of vivid descriptions of close and bloody operations against the North Vietnamese Regulars. I do remeber the book had a cover photo of an M47 driver wearing an early American bone dome.
    I lent the book out and of course never got it back (Cheers Baz), sorry to be so vague but it was a long time ago. Im eager to get another copy can anybody help with the author/correct title?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the book you're looking for is 'Close Quarters' by Larry Heinemann. still in print apparently, isbn 1400076846.

3. JINGO

Cheers Both for taking the time to answer,MG thats the very book a great read all in.
    Mick thanks for the list I now have my holiday reading sorted for the next few years, that should send the Missus over the edge finally.
    Thanks again
    Jingo.

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

if you liked that, there are a few more I can point you to - The Fire Dream ( I forget the author), Meditations In Green (same), Citadel by dale a. dye and Chickenhawk by robert mason.

5. JINGO

Chickenhawk was the book that started it all off for me, i read Meditations in Green along time ago and really enjoyed it. The other two ive never heard of and will put them on my list. Ive read Platoon by Dale A. Dye he seems to have made his fortune advising on film sets these days.
    Praying for Slack by Robert Peavey is another good read by an armoured crewman, if you prefer the infantry stuff then then "Fortune Favours the Bold" by James W. Walker is excellent (he was a an ex British soldier serving with the 101st LRRPs).
    Cheers.

6. 'The 13th Valley' by John m del vechio is a good book about the 101st in the A shau valley after hamburger hill.

7. You should also try "A Bright Shining Lie and "Once a Warrior King" both excellent books, looking at the Vietnam war from the top down and the bottom up respectively.

8. JINGO

Im going to have to get a bigger suitcase for hols or just take the one banana hammock and nothing else. i must admit i had a look at Abright Shining Lie and was intimidated by the size of the thing. I may try it if it is as good as you say. Again the 13th Valley has gone on the list.
    Have either of you ever tackled Bernard Fall? is he worth hunting down? I found a copy of Street Without Joy in the West Point book shop but was skint at the time.

9. Street Without Joy is definitely worth reading. I haven't read Hell in a Very Small Place, Fall's book on Dien Bien Phu though it would have to be absolutely brilliant to be better than Martin Windrow's The Last Valley.

10. JINGO

Yes Last Valley was the biggest book ive read from cover to cover and barely been able to put down.