Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chrisg46, May 8, 2006.

1. Yes without reservation

0 vote(s)
  2. Yes, as long as it is sensible and moderated

0 vote(s)
  3. No, open to abuse

0 vote(s)
  4. Hell no , i dont want to go to prison!

0 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Quick straw poll please,

A hobby in my platoon on telic seemed to be the creation numerous squaddie produced videos (no, not that kind...) of individuals, teams, platoons etc. These follow the form of a photo slideshow set to music and with various warry vid clips mixed in. Upon looking at my extensive collection, i wondered if these were peculiar to TA or if Regs are as bad in doing this? I know it is done (1 PWRR at Cimic House on telic 4 is a good example, and with the widespread use of laptops and digtal cameras, it seems like some people could produce professional standard bits of film!

Is there any possibility of a video library on Arrse, like a gallery for phots? I dont know about the techie side of this, but obvously any posted videos would have to meet various criteria such as OPSEC and PERSEC, not to mention size of the clip and any legal ramifications...but i do know that vid swapping was quite a popular way of showing what other people have been doing.

Any thoughts, comments?
  2. Judging by the results of your survey so far (20% a, 80% b) I'm going to be flying in the face of perceived wisdom but hey, why change the habit of a lifetime :lol:

Firstly, yes regulars are as keen on making home movies as TA (In my experience). No real shocks there, I think most people are quite keen to keep mementos of experiences they have had, used to be photo collections, now in the digital era it's digi photos and then thanks to bill gates, moviemaker came along and home movies of still photos was the next logical progression.

Should a forum be set up to share these videos? No!

many reasons but off the top of my head.

1. OPSEC - probably not a huge concern really but always the possibility that some bit of kit, or some vehicle modification that shouldn't be out in the public domain is on display in the background - who will check every submission to ensure this is not the case, and who has the knowledge to know quickly whether that widget attached to Simpkins in the back row 3rd from left is or is not classified?

2. PERSEC - The main reason - These videos are HOME movies, they are not intended for distribution wider than the community from which the photos come from in the first place. Whilst in that community PERSEC is not an issue as everyone knows who everyone else is but as soon as these images become available in the public domain they are there for anyone and everyone to see.

3. Release Permission - All the home movies I've appearred in have been done with my consent and with me having the say over whether a particualr photo is used - nothing dodgy just making sure they got the right side of me :wink: - but the permission I gave was for the photo to be distributed amongst family (Army family anyway) I did not give permission for it to be posted on tinterweb and would be unlikely to do so. Multiply this by 150 for the average Coy sized video and the problem is huge.

4. Fianlly for now - Why???? these are HOME movies, to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less what the 3rd foot and mouth got upto in their tour of affraqbucktoo, I wasn't there, it means nothing to me. I Do care about seeing the video from my exploits as it evokes memories of the happy times I had serving with friends from my unit in difficult times but I'm not so vain as to think anyone who "you wasn't there man" would care about what I or others did or the many jolly japes we got up to while waiting for the next round to land...

5. Last I promise!! - the Daily mirror effect - whilst I in no way condone any illegal act perpetrated by anyone, I'm sure we can all think of clips in videos which when taken out of context could be construed in a totally different way and lead to all sorts of problems. Again a symptom of distributing home movies to people who weren't there at the time and don't understand the unique circumstances surrounding your particular miniature sphere of a complex operation during difficult times. To finish I give aquote from a colleague who didn't deploy with us but saw a copy of a home movie "What the feck are you cowboys doing with bayonets attached, you're on a feckin peace keeping, sunshine tour" and this form someone who deffinately DID know better :roll:

Standing by for wiser minds to put me back in my box!!
  3. Oh god those videos are boring.. Well unless you know the people. And hearing Song 2 by blur every time a landrover goes over 20mph gets a little tedious..
  4. chrisg46

I used the Benny hill theme tune on mine, strangely effective...

Good points raised above though, i admit i didnt think of the personal release issue...
  5. I can't remember the video I saw which had 'Die Motherfuckr Die' as it's theme tune, but it would be a great one for the Daily Mirror...
  6. chrisg46

If it the one i have seen, it was done by the London regt when they were on telic 4. It is pretty good, and the DM would LOVE it!! The yanks have got one as well, usual cheese, bunch of blokes in smokey robinson hats or whatever they are called, standing to attention! Got both somewhere...
  7. Having several myself, I agree totally with Humphrey on all points, but especially on the Daily Mirror effect. We are getting enough bad press as it is, without volunteering what we see as harmless and/or jokey videos to that bunch of wasters who would sell their soul for a sale without thinking about the consequences of their actions to the troops.
  8. It's a good idea, but as outlined above, has a lot of issues. It would probably be better on ArmyNet (with a limited audience) but only if there was a way that the content could be viewed but not capable of download.
  9. msr

msr LE

So how do you propose viewing, but not downloading? It's got to get to your PC somehow....

10. chrisg46

think he means some kind of streaming it...
  11. No, that would still violate all of Humphreys points.
  12. Just to qualify:

I suppose, looking through it, that we're not quite ready for all of the implications, so we'll just have to settle for the current procedure where clips do the rounds by e-mail and lose all traceability and control.
  13. Absolutely not. Never. See the good point above about getting a companies' worth of consent.

If I volunteer a picture to the media (through media ops), or net as a 'look at me', thats my problem.

I'm in a fair few private vids made last year and I don't want to see it online. Similarly a few Irish fellas who didn't do any publicity would be livid if their mugs went online.