Videos of the disbanding of the Cameronians, 1968

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Gun_Brickie, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Fantastic stuff - "the death of a whole family" - so true

Watching the Band marching and piping at Rifles pace is fantastic!

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I was in the next Barracks when they disbanded. Cameronians were in Cavalry, we were in Infantry. Got on photo somewhere of their pipeband playing with ours outside the officers mess for the last time.

3. My boss was ex Cameronians; and when he took me on as a fresh civvy I watched the disbandment parade, followed by Braveheart (I'm english!) at his house into the small hours with a bottle of whisky. Top man, sadly no longer with us.

4. The God Botherer gave an excelent spiel - ABC take note!

5. If that God Botherer was typical of their padres no wonder they had a reputation for unbridled savagery.

6. Mony a weel kent face on those wonderful videos of a sad day.
    What a wonderful regiment the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were. Tough, with bags o' patter!
    The Padre was typical of his era in certain predominantly protestant Lowland Regiments. I recall one Padre (he'd been with the regiment in the Korean War also) exhorting us to smite the enemy when he visited us at our company location while on operations in Sarawak (he also wore a Webley!).

1 KOSB had a compulsory weekly church parade, usually midweek, where the battalion would march to the Kirk wearing bayonets, the tradition stemmed from the Indian Mutiny and I believe it was common to all Line Regiments. Sometimes the Kirk was held on the parade ground with the Bn in hollow square. Last time I attended such a parade was in the early 1980s.
    I wonder if Scottish regiments continue that tradition or is it non PC nowadays?

7. That's the sort of old Presbyterian minister who's preaching would make the hairs stand on the back of your neck.

8. The Krauts never forgot the Second Battle of Minden.
    john
    I shared a room with an old Sgt in Belize he had been a young jock back then.

9. Absolutely fantastic video. Too bad the entire ceremony isn't available.

Lots of good details for the history and militaria buffs, like the black Sam Browne belts with two shoulder straps worn by the officers. I have never ever heard or seen a pipe band play and march at Rifle pace before. That was worth seeing in itself.

Question: Is going immediately to order arms at the halt a Rifle affectation or something that is done by all regiments on formal parades? Very impressive.

And what happened to the personnel of the Cameronians? Where they spread throughout the width and breadth of the Army or did most of them end up in one unit together?

Dan.

10. These videos made me have a crack at playing the tune the band were playing, called The Gathering of the Grahams. It's a difficult enough tune in its own right at a regular pace, but to do it at Rifles pace makes it a finger-breaker of a tune. Makes me doubly in awe of the band in the video.

11. No, It's a Rifle regiment thing. In fact when I was a Rifleman we would also turn to a flank (if ordered) after halting and stand at ease too! I was surprised that they were carrying their rifles at the shoulder and not at the trail as the commentary erroneously states though. Could you tell if the rifle slings were tightened up or worn loose in true Rifles fashion? The pace was quite fast too, I'd guess more like 160 than 140 to the minute as is correct.
    Rifle regiment drill has changed several times since about 1968 when I believe an attempt was made to standardise it and Light Infantry drill upon formation of the Light Division. For some reason they meddled with it again when the Depot's merged in the late 80's and ended up with a horrible bastardisation of a thing, all sorts of heavy Infantry nonsense crept in for no obviousl reason. :x God only know what they're passing off as Rifle regiment drill nowadays! :roll: I was an ex-junior Leader so I had to learn Rifles drill at the Depot after two years of heavy infantry stuff, it was quite easy but there were one or two things which I never understood. Why for example was the Rifle, when in the shoulder and at attention, held vertically with the but forward instead of pulled back as I'd been taught. And I was continually bollocked for forcing the thumb down on the clenched fist when marching (Don't cock yer f**king wrist!) and had to be broken out the of the habit of hanging my Sword/bayonet frog over the left buttock in line with the trouser crease when in Rifle regiments it is worn at the side, perpendicular with the trouser seam. I imagine this was a hangover from the days of the old Sword bayonet on the Baker rifle?
    Words of command were different too with "Face your front" or "Look to your front" being replaced by "Stand Ready".

I enjoyed the Pipe music but was waiting for the Bugles to play to no avail. There wasnlt a separate Bugle section so I presume the drummers also played the bugle calls when necessary? Bit strange having Drums in a Rifle regiment mind you though I suppose the Gurkhas have always had them, and Pipes too!

12. When they disbanded, the men went to other regiments in the Scots Div.
    My boss went to the Queens Own Highlanders, where he taught his wife to drive in a 4 tonner on the square while under the influence of alcohol.

The black hackle worn by 1 Scots is from the Cameronians as the KOSB took over their recruiting area.

Attached Files:

13. Jaeger and tiger stacker,

Thanks for the info. I too noticed the announcer stating that their rifles were being carried at the trail while they were, in fact, at the shoulder. As you said Jaeger, there was none of the arm swinging to shoulder height nor lifting of the foot 12 inches and stamping it on the square (or grass) when coming to 'Attention'.

I watched the video again and not only are the rifle slings tightened on the left side of the rifles but they are (shudder!) khaki coloured! So are the belts worn by the other ranks, which are without a regimental buckle of any sort. The bayonet frogs are hanging to the rear of the belts.

I also recall hearing that in 1968 the newly amalgamated Light Infantry regiments had to standardize their drill as, apparently, each had a completely separate way of doing it! Nothing wrong with a little eccentricity now and again, is there?

Jaeger I don't understand you're comment about it being strange to see drums in a Rifle regiment. I thought that they were a part of a battalion's bugles. They are in Canadian Rifle regiments. If the Rifle regiments didn't have drums where would they show their Battle Honours?

Dan.