Video Tutorials - Court Mounting Medals - A Simple DIY Guide

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
After nearly 10 years I finally got around to taking video footage of DIY medal mounting...

I know, I know... I got there in the end. The trouble with this type of thing is I always seem to remember either halfway through a set or immediately afterwards. Plus I never had the geeky tripod / GoPro set-up wotsit. I just happened to be in B&M the other day and noticed they sell cheap tripods for gripping your mobile phone :)

Here we are then. Ten years later.

Below is an introduction video - with all the gear you'll need to get started, along with a standard side-by-side full sized medal mounting....

I've recorded footage for an MBE overlapped set I did last week, but to be honest with you, its taken me nearly three days to edit the footage and in between actually (supposedly) working for a living, you can imagine it's time consuming to say the least.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and I'll post the next vid in days-few :thumleft:

Introduction:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Side-by-side Mounting:

Overlapping medal Mounting:

Order of Wear (as per JSP 761 03 Mar 22):

Last edited:
Those are two excellent vids, chap.

OK, they are for a niche market but will be of great interest within that market.

A couple of comments:

1. Your voice-over could do with being a little less indistinct.

2. MOIT comment: ffs, stop saying 'Umm'!

:cool:

Any objection if I post those links in another forum? ( British Medal Forum).

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Those are two excellent vids, chap.

OK, they are for a niche market but will be of great interest within that market.

A couple of comments:

1. Your voice-over could do with being a little less indistinct.

2. MOIT comment: ffs, stop saying 'Umm'!

:cool:

Any objection if I post those links in another forum? ( British Medal Forum).

Hahaha... Would you believe it? I teach for a living and painfully aware of my mannerisms which I usually keep to a minimum.

The minute the "record" button gets pressed though, for some reason I revert to guilty teenager mode who's just been lifted by the filth, for carrying a rucksack full of coke and crisp 50s....

Yes by all means, feel free to share. I'm currently editing the overlapped MBE set which I'll aim to upload at some point this weekend

On that note, any medal enthusiasts out there, or know any, feel free to subscribe to the channel.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hahaha... Would you believe it? I teach for a living and painfully aware of my mannerisms which I usually keep to a minimum.

The minute the "record" button gets pressed though, for some reason I revert to guilty teenager mode who's just been lifted by the filth, for carrying a rucksack full of coke and crisp 50s....

Yes by all means, feel free to share. I'm currently editing the overlapped MBE set which I'll aim to upload at some point this weekend

On that note, any medal enthusiasts out there, or know any, feel free to subscribe to the channel.
As an ex pro video editor, I feel your pain mate.

Great instructive work, with small critique. Lower the music track a bit more when you're waffling talking me old mucker.

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
As an ex pro video editor, I feel your pain mate.

Great instructive work.

Thanks.

Wish I'd known before... I've been using the free stuff on my laptop. I did download videopad from a "which best free version" type website, only to discover it only had so many goes before it forces you to buy...

My issue with that? You only find out after you've spent 6 hours editing and go to "export"... :crying:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent content, very informative but awful backing music (too loud too), then again I am 55 this year.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks.

Wish I'd known before... I've been using the free stuff on my laptop. I did download videopad from a "which best free version" type website, only to discover it only had so many goes before it forces you to buy...

My issue with that? You only find out after you've spent 6 hours editing and go to "export"... :crying:
I've got a spare "Corel StudioVideo Ultimate" software DVD complete with product key. Cost about £70 you are welcome to it mate, buckshee.

It's half decent software and ideal for the shorter videos. If you've been using the free stuff already, you'll know about dragging stuff to your timeline and this software is fairly intuitive with a shed (sorry) load of tutorials on YouTube.

PM if you're interested old boy.

Edit. It will upload direct to your YouTube acccount when you're done editing.

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Excellent content, very informative but awful backing music (too loud too), then again I am 55 this year.

Luckily there's no backing music on the actual tutorial, just the intro vid.

Another flaw in having limited tech - the music seemed quiet on my tablet/laptop... Wasn't until I played it on my TV YouTube app I thought, "this is going to annoy fans of Werthers Originals..."

Nice one BJ. Must be a age thing as others have said the music is a bit.................. :)

ETA Our old master stitch does loads of medals these days too.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Luckily there's no backing music on the actual tutorial, just the intro vid.

Another flaw in having limited tech - the music seemed quiet on my tablet/laptop... Wasn't until I played it on my TV YouTube app I thought, "this is going to annoy fans of Werthers Originals..."
Don't diss the paedo sweets!

Get the free version of this:

Then get some copyright-free music from here:

Also I can recommend a cheap Lavalier mic (£12) and digital recorder(£20) to record your voice separately to mix into the video footage with Resolve.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Nice to see the WW2/Korea set you did for me on there. Really great work.

Yes I was trying to show examples of all the different work I did - glad you got them framed and sorted :)

Elsewhere - I've managed to edit the overlapped footage ahead of time, leaving the weekend free for antics!

With the Platinum Jubilee rapidly approaching, I dare say there are many set of medals going to need mounting in the near future!

Court-mounting Overlapped Medals

Last edited:

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmmm.
I'm getting Replicas of my Grandads WW2 RN rack.
The originals are in their little box along with the relevant paperwork.

I want to mount them properly and then have them put into a presentation case. I've got his WW2 RN blanket that is currently in the shop being put into a presentation case to enable it to be hung on the wall.
20220128_070945.jpg

Yes I was trying to show examples of all the different work I did - glad you got them framed and sorted :)

Elsewhere - I've managed to edit the overlapped footage ahead of time, leaving the weekend free for antics!

With the Platinum Jubilee rapidly approaching, I dare say there are many set of medals going to need mounting in the near future!

Court-mounting Overlapped Medals

Recording whilst in one's dressing gown - WFH has a lot to answer for.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
20220129_122053.jpg

Got to get replicas mounted plus his Artic Star medal.
One question I have though, he has the Burma star but it has a Pacific clasp on it. Any idea why this is?

View attachment 635222
Got to get replicas mounted plus his Artic Star medal.
One question I have though, he has the Burma star but it has a Pacific clasp on it. Any idea why this is?

Because he would have served in SE Asia. That area was sub-divided into Burma Star and Pacific Star theatres.

Thus, his original qualifying service would have been for the Burma Star followed by trips into the theatres covered by the Pacific Star.

Latest Threads